[Ibogaine] Good stuff bout weed

Jim Hadey3 jimhadey3 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 14 05:25:52 CDT 2015

 5 Incredible Breakthroughs in Pot Science
 Posted on June 13, 2015
<http://sorendreier.com/5-incredible-breakthroughs-in-pot-science/> by Soren
Dreier <http://sorendreier.com/author/>
Author: April Short

In spite of decades of politicization and prohibition, cannabis science is
beginning to experience a rebirth—so much so that it was the topic of
National Geographic’s most recent cover feature.

“We’re finding surprises, and possibly miracles, concealed inside this once
forbidden plant,” writes the article’s author, Hampton Sides.

“In the apparent rush to accept weed into the mainstream, to tax and
regulate it, to legitimze and commodify it, important questions arise.
What’s going on inside this plant? How does marijuana really affect our
bodies and our brains? What might the chemicals in it tell us about how our
neurological systems function?” Sides asks.

As more and more states legalize the contentious herb, the lack of
controlled, scientific research looking into the safety and potential
health benefits of marijuana in human subjects is glaring. The reason for
this scientific void is not a lack of interested researchers or compelling
hypotheses. It is political.

The US government has in place a series of systems that effectively act as
blockades against any scientist who would dare study the benefits of
cannabis, so modern research on the herb has fallen behind. Due to excess
review requirement put in place in 1999 by a tough-on-drugs Clinton
administration, it’s easier for an independent researcher to study any
substance other than cannabis. This includes the plant’s neighbors on the
government’s Schedule I list of most dangerous drugs, like heroin and meth.

Countless personal anecdotes proclaim marijuana’s life-saving capabilities—
the most conspicuous of which are the stories of concentrated cannabis
oil’s ability to stop seizures in epileptic children. The web is also full
of self-documented cases and news stories showing the oil’s ability to
clear up skin cancer, Crohn’s disease and other serious illnesses. Despite
the clear and urgent necessity for clinical trials, marijuana’s healing
effects remain largely mysterious, thanks to policies leftover from the
Reefer Madness era.

Animal and lab studies out of other countries, like Israel and Spain, have
illustrated the plant’s ability to mitigate all number of ailments,
including cancer. And, as Paul Armentano of the marijuana legalization
organization NORML points out in a recent article, marijuana is actually
one of the most studied substances of modern times, and its human use dates
back thousands of years.

“A search on PubMed, the repository for all peer-reviewed scientific
papers, using the term “marijuana” yields more than 21,000 scientific
papers referencing the plant and/or its constituents, nearly half of which
have been published just within the past decade. By contrast, a keyword
search using the term ‘ibuprofen’ yields only about half as many papers; a
search associated with the prescription painkiller ‘hydrocodone’ yields
only 700 studies, while a search using the keyword ‘adderall’ yields fewer
than 200 peer-reviewed papers.

The recent shift in public opinion marijuana, coupled with the undeniable
proof of its healing potentials, has propelled a historic heave against the
research blockade. It is beginning to crumble. After decades of work to get
FDA approval, the first ever placebo-controlled clinical trial looking at
cannabis for human subjects in the US is just about set to leave the ground
in Arizona, pending a final DEA approval of the study facilities.

Several new animal studies are also breaking ground, and the government has
tripled its production of cannabis in response (all legal cannabis studies
in the US are required to use government-grown weed—part of the red tape
that has slowed research down significantly).

All in all, marijuana science is a topic very much in vogue, which is
likely why a publication as esteemed and historic as National Geographic
chose it as the focus of its June 2015 issue. The feature examined the many
ways marijuana is shifting in our culture—and in the process urging us to
rethink everything we thought we knew about the drug. While noting what a
shame it is that there isn’t more pot science already out there, Sides
delves into the existing research—primarily performed on lab rats—and
outlines some of the most fascinating facts we do know about the cannabis
plant to date.

Here are five of the most mind-boggling marijuana science breakthroughs to
date, as outlined in National Geographic.

Read More: Here
<http://www.alternet.org/drugs/5-incredible-breakthroughs-pot-science-mainstream-media-finally-paying-attention>