[Ibogaine] So Spooky, and finding voacangine

Chris Jenks chris at jenks.us
Fri Dec 28 17:17:35 EST 2012

   According to the article by van Beek that I've been studying there is
one species, Tabernaemontana aldiflora from French Guiana, which is
reported to contain 18-hydroxycoronaridine in its stem bark, which could
be methylated to give 18-methoxycoronaridine. Otherwise I don't know how
18-MC would be easily made. Voacangine, in contrast, is reported in 35
Tabernaemontana species, as I mentioned, which doesn't even include the
Voacanga species which are its current main source. The problem with
voacangine or 18-MC is that they are both esters, unlike ibogaine, and
while they both showed promise in treating addiction in rats, voacangine
turned out to be a dud when taken by humans. So I don't hold out a lot of
hope for 18-MC being very effective in humans either. But there are quite
a few possible natural products I am finding which may have activity
similar to ibogaine and which lack the ester group. I'm also finding that,
just as voacangine is more prevalent than the ibogaine it can be converted
into, that the other ester-containing iboga alkaloids (coronaridine,
isovoacangine and conopharyngine) are more prevent than their non-ester
counterparts, so they could serve as good precursors to ibogamine,
tabernanthine and ibogaline respectively. The main question is, are any of
these alkaloids superior in any way to ibogaine? If not, there isn't as
much incentive to find good sources of them (which is almost sure to be a
tropical plant) except to circumvent stigma and the law, rather than just
to verify that Voacanga africana is the best source of voacangine.