[Ibogaine] Interesting article on addiction

Jim Hadey jimhadey3 at yahoo.com
Fri May 27 11:09:06 EDT 2011

Hi all, I think I would let someone else try this first.
They have been talking about a vaccine for
addiction for a while but after the Tuskegee
Experiments I think I will pass.  Ya know one guy
who no longer uses is not that great results wise.
How many people did they operate on, how many
did it help?  When nothing is mentioned about the
results something is wrong.  It would be nice if
they interviewed the patients and got their opinion;
I wonder why they did not think of that.

Best,

  - JIM

 www.thefix.com/content/probing-addiction-chinese-go-radical-brain

          Chinese Addiction Surgery: You First

            Electrodes in the brain used by Chinese neurosurgeons for heroin addiction.

                      Eee-lectrical.

              Photo via thinkstockphotos

              By Dirk Hanson
            05/27/11

      Share

        Our first reaction to the news of a novel Chinese form of
brain surgery for addiction was: not ready for prime time. The new
treatment comes our way courtesy of the Shanghai Daily—electric
 brain acupuncture, with two electrodes inserted deep into the head.
This is a vast improvement over an earlier Chinese procedure in which
neurosurgeons actually removed portions of the brain. The
target in those grisly surgeries was the nucleus accumbens, a tiny organ
 in the brain’s limbic system that plays a major role in the reward
systems activated by addiction. A study published in the journal Addiction
 chronicled the brain surgeries, which were soon halted. Psychiatrists
feared the return of psychosurgery as a treatment for mental illnesses,
recalling all too well the horrors of a favorite American form of
psychosurgery, the prefrontal lobotomy. Using neurosurgery to treat
heroin addiction is not supported by any reputable research. The
invasive procedure, says Addiction, involved “drilling holes in
 the patient’s skull and inserting electrodes deep into the midbrain to
ablate the nucleus accumbens or sever the cingulate gyrus.” Like a
lobotomy, there is no way to tell what cognitive functions are being
damaged or wiped out by such crude procedures.In order to reboot
the program, Chinese neurosurgeons dropped the “ablation” part of the
procedure. “Unlike the surgery where a part of the brain is removed, our
 treatment is minimally invasive and just stimulates a part of the brain
 to block the addicts’ drug-induced psychological dependency,” explained
 Dr. Zhou Hongyu of the Renji Hospital in Shangai. The electrical
current through the needles is used “to stimulate relative tissues to
stop people’s desire to use drugs,” in the words of the Shanghai Daily.
 As evidence of the method’s success, the paper tells the story of a
24-year old patient with a five-year history of drug abuse who has
remained clean for six years after the treatment. As for evidence,
that’s about all there is.Various forms of electrical stimulation
 of brain regions are now proliferating in the U.S. and elsewhere, some
of which are based on sound science, and some of which are sheer
quackery. You can buy so-called transcranial magnetic stimulation
machines for use in your home or office. But we don’t advise running out
 to buy one for treating your addiction. Just a bit of research left to
do on this one….