[Ibogaine] OT or not?? Depression rant

Matt S ibogamail at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 12:00:15 EDT 2011

The thing I hate about headshrinkers is you are usually a handful of
visits in (and out a couple of hundred bucks) before you can really tell
if they are going to work for you or not.  I hate shopping for a decent
headshrinker for that very reason.  Its expensive and time consuming.
But if you can find a decent one, it can be productive.  In my opinion
if you cannot be completely honest with your shrink, then you have the
wrong shrink.  If they cannot give you unconditional positive regard, no
matter what shit you unload on them, then they should probably take up a
new profession.

That doesn't mean they have to co-sign all of your bullshit but it
absolutely means that you should never feel judged by them.  If you tell
them about ibogaine and they get that "oh here we go" look in their eye,
then its probably time for a new headshrinker.

But I'm like you Randy in that my current shrink is a woman and I much
prefer it that way (although I am not going to ever try to get in her
pants).  My NA sponsor has been going on for years about how I need more
close male friendships.  But my experience is that guys tend to be less
emotionally available and project their own masculine inadequacies when
you start talking about the really deep stuff.  Maybe it would be
different with a headshrinker, I  don't know for sure because I always
choose female therapists based on this kind of personal experience with
my relationships with other men, although I have had a couple of male
therapists in the more distant past who I felt at the time seemed
somewhat aloof.  If I want to talk about the incomprehensibility of the
female mind, then I'll talk to a guy, if I want to talk about how fucked
up my feelings get in certain situations, I'll talk to a girlfriend
(they are all platonic girlfriends BTW) or my wife.

I told my headshrinker about my entheogen use and she expressed some
misgivings but said that if it actually is the way I say it is (which is
a good way of saying that she has concerns based on my history of
addiction but that she takes me at my word), then she is on-board with
my continued use of them.  She also has her own history with having used
mescaline and acid and shrooms so she knows something of the matter
herself.  People sometimes refer to using drugs as a "crutch".  And I
understand that characterization.  But if your leg is broken no-one ever
says "I think your just using that crutch as a crutch."  A crutch has a
legitimate use.  It is only when the use of the crutch actually prevents
proper healing that it becomes problematic.  In my opinion my ability to
get in touch with and process my feelings is something like a broken
leg, it got fucked up when I was younger and it needs healing (and I
need assistance in affecting that healing).  So for me, entheogens are
sometimes a crutch in that regard, although they often serve other
purposes of a more spiritual matter as well.

A good therapist should be enrolled in the plan to see you healed,
whatever form that healing has to take, not enrolled in a plan to
reinforce their own preconceptions and underlying beliefs.

Matt