[Ibogaine] Abstinence Only... not for a while, anyway.

rockstar at phantom.com rockstar at phantom.com
Sat Jan 24 15:44:36 EST 2009

Secretary Clinton Ditches Mark Dybul, The Abstinence-Only AIDS Coordinator!

RH Reality Check has learned that Secretary Hillary Clinton has asked
Global AIDS Coordinator Mark Dybul, who supported using PEPFAR money for
failed abstinence-only programs, to leave.

Jodi Jacobson reports on RH Reality Check
<http://e2ma.net/go/1665966104/1511767/55448934/goto:http://www.rhrealitycheck.org/blog/2009/01/22/dybul-out-thank-you-hillary>
:

Sworn in as Secretary of State just yesterday, Hillary Clinton wasted no
time cleaning house at the vast department she runs. Today, we have heard,
Mark Dybul was asked to submit his resignation as US Global AIDS
Coordinator, head of the office in charge of the President's Emergency
Plan for AIDS Relief.

This is a huge first step to ensuring the health and rights of all people
at risk of HIV and AIDS: Dybul oversaw the last several years of
abstinence-only programs funded by PEPFAR, hob-knobbed a bit too closely
with the far right, and never saw a law or policy restriction he could not
make even more restrictive. Curious for a self-identified Democrat? Not so
curious, I guess, if your career is dependent on pleasing the far right,
and if your desire to be Global AIDS Coordinator outweighs your desire to
stand up for what is right. Under the Bush Administration, brave
professionals such as Susan Wood, then-Assistant FDA Commissioner and
Director of the Office of Women's Health, resigned rather than carry out
policies that compromised science, evidence, ethics and human lives. Dybul
instead did everything he could to work with the far right to tighten
policies, deny women access to reproductive and sexual health care, and
put in place guidance that further restricted women's choices. I have no
doubt that as a result people in countries like Uganda were needlessly
infected with HIV under his regime and because of the policies he
supported through his unwillingness to stand up and speak out.

But we no longer have to abide such policies. Hillary Clinton has taken
swift action to show she will stand up for the health and rights of people
everywhere, for evidence-based policies to promote women's health. She and
our new President deserve our deep appreciation.

Thank you, Hillary!