Charles Rossouw charles.rossouw at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 15:04:59 EST 2009

Hi Jim

If I think you're talking of the registered pills for chemo, then you'll
double the cost of the Ibogaine here.  Because its not manufactured in huge
quanties for obvious reasons, there are no generic equivalents available, so
the originator profits big time.  They cost like the equivalent 80USD per
pill (I don't have my mims handy, so please forgive me if I'm wrong)

BTW, as I understand it - the big pharma companies like Sanofi-Aventis,
Boehringer etc, nail third-world countries like South Africa,
notwithstanding our government's commitment to allow affordable healthcare.
How they do it, is to license their products here (to themselves), and
charge insane licensing fees, so that the local subsidiary can prove that
they are only making a small profit.  In that way, a product like Premarin
(an HRT) is about half the price in Greece (First world) than what it is
here (third world).  Ironic, if you think that it should be the other way
around.  The same happens in the automotive industry (Unless I'm not aware
of import/export/luxury item taxes), where locally manufactured cars are
cheaper (after exchange rate conversions) in countrys like Oz and the US
than here.  That is even more insane if you think of the shipping costs out
of SA.

Regards

Charles

--