[Ibogaine] US drug policy changes?

Preston Peet prestonpeet at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 15 12:02:11 EST 2009

Thank you very much Charles.

________________________________
From: Charles Rossouw <charles.rossouw at gmail.com>
To: The Ibogaine List <ibogaine at mindvox.com>
Sent: Thursday, January 15, 2009 11:36:48 AM
Subject: Re: [Ibogaine] US drug policy changes?

Hi Preston

Yes its the same Barack Obama that you know, and he has nothing to do with SA drug policy.  He will, in about 5 days time,start to play a major role in the federal funding policies for organisations like PEPFAR and UNODC, UNAIDS, World bank, etc.  and those organisations does play a role here on a regional level as far as direct funding is concerned for pojects like HIV/AIDS policy advocacy, legislature change advocacy, etc. Our Medical Research Council, for instance, has to choose very carefully which projects they take on, due to the strong funding by UN organisations, and due to the influence that the US Federal goverment has over them ("If you work on something we don't agree with, we'll cut your funding" sort of situation).  According to Sylvie at UNODC the news is that there are huge changes coming, like the lifting of the ban on federal funding for needle exchange programs.

I hope she will be able to supply me with a link, or at least her source, when she returns to her office.

Kind regards

Charles

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 3:22 PM, Preston Peet <prestonpeet at yahoo.com> wrote:

The following was posted on my drugwar list Charles, in responce to my forwarding part of your email to the list for comments:

(First, your bit Charles):
> Hi all
>
> I just came from the UNODC office in Pretoria, and they are all celebrating because Obama spelled out his drug policy today, and federal funds will be used for needle exchange programs in future. (End Charles's bit)<

Then, the question from DrugWar list subscriber:

>Is that the same pres-elect Obama, and if so, what does he have to do with SA drug policy? And I guess that if he's spelled out his drug policy, I should know what it is - not that I have much hope for change. A link would be nice.<

any more info for us Charles?
Thanks.
Preston

I just came from the UNODC office in Pretoria, and they are all celebrating because Obama spelled out his drug policy today, and federal funds will be used for needle exchange programs in future.

I suppose Mr Ramstadt was not his sole advisory committee?  Hey - I think its great news!

Charles

--
+27 71 687 0068

--