[Ibogaine] Kava Kava usage

Edward A. Weissbard edward.escs at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 14:37:58 EST 2009

Preston,

Kava is not a Schedule I substance in the US, so it is not illegal to
use to grow.  There were some past problems with the supplement type
version of Kava back in early 2000, where a small number of people in
Europe,died after liver failure due to the poorly made supplements. This
cause a number of countries(not US) to ban import of Kava, which I
believe they may be reconsidering now.  The issue was mainly with the
heavily processed, packaged/Pill form Kava, which contained the leaves
and stem portions of the plant.  I would not advise that anyone take
Kava if there are any know serious Liver problems.

It is the root of the plant that is used not the leaves or stems.  The
Kavalactones are mostly found in roots of the Kava plant(Piper methysticum)
--

Edward