[Ibogaine] 2012 mayan calendar

j0n at just-say-know.org j0n at just-say-know.org
Tue Jan 6 16:43:12 EST 2009

It is likely that the Mayans believed that the "end" of their Long Count
calendar would mark some kind of symbolic end, as in a historical cycle or
something along those lines.

But the fact of the matter is that no one knows what the Mayans thought
would happen in 2012. Actually, no one really knows what the Mayans
thought about most things.

Although it is known that the Maya had pretty advanced systems of
language, mathematics, astronomy, etc, little of Mayan culture survived
Spanish colonization and persecution. The fragments of Mayan culture that
have survived are wide open to interpretation and it is very difficult to
try to draw any meaningful conclusions from them, particularly regarding
more esoteric subjects, such as this.

from http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/2007-03-27-maya-2012_n.htm :

"For the ancient Maya, it was a huge celebration to make it to the end of
a whole cycle," says Sandra Noble, executive director of the Foundation
for the Advancement of Mesoamerican Studies in Crystal River, Fla. To
render Dec. 21, 2012, as a doomsday or moment of cosmic shifting, she
says, is "a complete fabrication and a chance for a lot of people to cash
in."

Part of the 2012 mystique stems from the stars. On the winter solstice in
2012, the sun will be aligned with the center of the Milky Way for the
first time in about 26,000 years. This means that "whatever energy
typically streams to Earth from the center of the Milky Way will indeed be
disrupted on 12/21/12 at 11:11 p.m. Universal Time," Joseph writes.

But scholars doubt the ancient Maya extrapolated great meaning from
anticipating the alignment — if they were even aware of what the
configuration would be.

Astronomers generally agree that "it would be impossible the Maya
themselves would have known that," says Susan Milbrath, a Maya
archaeoastronomer and a curator at the Florida Museum of Natural History.
What's more, she says, "we have no record or knowledge that they would
think the world would come to an end at that point."

University of Florida anthropologist Susan Gillespie says the 2012
phenomenon comes "from media and from other people making use of the Maya
past to fulfill agendas that are really their own."