[Ibogaine] Fw: The Evolution of Addiction Treatment

Douglas Fraser doug_fraser at microcinema.com
Sun Jul 20 10:38:22 EDT 2008

hrm....  I had a khat plant while I was living in Vancouver.  Never really
used it b/c it was of the weak variety, but it's a nice plant....   and of
course, I was not refining the chemical to excess a la coca and cocaine....
   but speed freaks are .. freaks and that sort of applies to our
overcaffeinated Western culture.   And of course, it's always easier to
blame the chemicals than one's life and how one's living it and not
acknowledging one's problems

To be honest, what bugs me about this story is that the author does not
ever seem to acknowledge the chemicals were just tools for him to escape
his issues - it's like he never had any issues and then one day, poof!
he's an addict.   maybe it's just my projections... and the way he writes.
    Then he imparts such power to ibogaine.. or seems to.  This is a subtle
point, but it's a crucial one.  Ibogaine can be considered to have
something of a "cult" surrounding it, much like ayahuasca does, and if we
(society) can deal with those projections in an honest manner, then we
won't be faced with the trouble that acid and MDMA had to deal with (the
hysteria, the bans, etc).     then again, I'm an idealist....

doug