[Ibogaine] shroomin'

j0n at just-say-know.org j0n at just-say-know.org
Tue Jul 1 10:49:03 EDT 2008

Study finds long benefit in illegal mushroom drug

By MALCOLM RITTER, AP Science WriterTue Jul 1, 12:07 AM ET

In 2002, at a Johns Hopkins University laboratory, a business consultant
named Dede Osborn took a psychedelic drug as part of a research project.
She felt like she was taking off. She saw colors. Then it felt like her
heart was ripping open. But she called the experience joyful as well as
painful, and says that it has helped her to this day.

"I feel more centered in who I am and what I'm doing," said Osborn, now
66, of Providence, R.I. "I don't seem to have those self-doubts like I
used to have. I feel much more grounded (and feel that) we are all
connected."

Scientists reported Tuesday that when they surveyed volunteers 14 months
after they took the drug, most said they were still feeling and behaving
better because of the experience.

Two-thirds of them also said the drug had produced one of the five most
spiritually significant experiences they'd ever had.

The drug, psilocybin, is found in so-called "magic mushrooms." It's
illegal, but it has been used in religious ceremonies for centuries.

The study involved 36 men and women during an eight-hour lab visit. It's
one of the few such studies of a hallucinogen in the past 40 years, since
research was largely shut down after widespread recreational abuse of such
drugs in the 1960s.

The project made headlines in 2006 when researchers published their report
on how the volunteers felt just two months after taking the drug. The new
study followed them up a year after that.

Experts emphasize that people should not try psilocybin on their own
because it could be harmful. Even in the controlled setting of the
laboratory, nearly a third of participants felt significant fear under the
effects of the drug. Without proper supervision, someone could be harmed,
researchers said.

Osborn, in a telephone interview, recalled a powerful feeling of being out
of control during her lab experience. "It was ... like taking off, I'm
being lifted up," she said. Then came "brilliant colors and beautiful
patterns, just stunningly gorgeous, more intense than normal reality."

And then, the sensation that her heart was tearing open.

"It would come in waves," she recalled. "I found myself doing Lamaze-type
breathing as the pain came on."

Yet "it was a joyful, ecstatic thing at the same time, like the joy of
being alive," she said. She compared it to birthing pains. "There was this
sense of relief and joy and ecstasy when my heart was opened."

With further research, psilocybin (pronounced SILL-oh-SY-bin) may prove
useful in helping to treat alcoholism and drug dependence, and in aiding
seriously ill patients as they deal with psychological distress, said
study lead author Roland Griffiths of Johns Hopkins.

Griffiths also said that despite the spiritual characteristics reported
for the drug experiences, the study says nothing about whether God exists.

"Is this God in a pill? Absolutely not," he said.

The experiment was funded in part by the National Institute on Drug Abuse.
The results were published online Tuesday by the Journal of
Psychopharmacology.

Fourteen months after taking the drug, 64 percent of the volunteers said
they still felt at least a moderate increase in well-being or life
satisfaction, in terms of things like feeling more creative,
self-confident, flexible and optimistic. And 61 percent reported at least
a moderate behavior change in what they considered positive ways.

That second question didn't ask for details, but elsewhere the
questionnaire answers indicated lasting gains in traits like being more
sensitive, tolerant, loving and compassionate.

Researchers didn't try to corroborate what the participants said about
their own behavior. But in the earlier analysis at two months after the
drug was given, researchers said family and friends backed up what those
in the study said about behavior changes. Griffiths said he has no reason
to doubt the answers at 14 months.

Dr. Charles Grob, a professor of psychiatry and pediatrics at the
Harbor-UCLA Medical Center, called the new work an important follow-up to
the first study.

He said it is helping to reopen formal study of psychedelic drugs. Grob is
on the board of the Heffter Research Institute, which promotes studies of
psychedelic substances and helped pay for the new work.