[Ibogaine] GDNF IS the strong theoretical argument!

Dana Beal dana at phantom.com
Fri Feb 22 16:19:00 EST 2008

On Feb 22, 2008, at 3:29 PM, Nick Sandberg wrote:

> Hey Dana,
>

> Like I said, I haven’t heard you speak recently, so for sure you
> could be great now. It was just that I thought that it’s better to
> get scientists to do academic presentations. I linked Alex to both
> those papers, by the way. I think he just prefers his safe
> position. It seems to me to be really about something else, but I’m
> not sure what. I think he’s scared to be involved in backing
> something he feels might be dangerous, something like that. It’s a
> shame as he seems a prominent character on the scene.
>

> All the best to you
>

> Nick
Now what did I say?

Ken Alper is not available to go anywhere outside the North East US.

So some one had to present in New Orleans or Barcelona. Naturally, my
emphasis is different than his would be. But the presentations
overlap. That's how I was able to cut 2/3rds of my slides and my talk
last weekend in D.C. It's great to go on after Ken-- focuses the mind
wonderfully.

Wish I'd been able to go on, as scheduled, immediately after Peter
Cohen, but he obviously decided to avoid that. And his attack on
ibogaine left Dimitri so flustered, he forgot his whole rap and quit
talking after 5 minutes, after reacting, abruptly, to Peter. And
anyway, my presentation in New Orleans was as much on the history of
the ibogaine movement as it was on the stages of understanding of
ibogaine mechanism.

The findings on GDNF didn't exist in 2004.

Eric, are you saying this presentation shouldn't be made? We are
training other people to make it, you know. If you really feel that
we should give INPUD and Alex a monopoly in this discussion, I could
see your motivation, but your motive would have nothing to do with
concern for the science of the thing. You are obviously one those
people who are uncomfortable with ibo because you want people to be
free to be addicts. I don't agree with NIck Sandberg 100%, but I do
agree with him that "freedom to be enslaved" sounds like something
only a slaveholder would love.

The fact remains: in the GDNF finding, there exists the strong
theoretical argument to justify ibogaine research that Wodak is
demanding.  The big concern right now in harm reduction circles about
crystal meth, and the GDNF stuff shows how ibogaine works for
crystal. BTW, Wodak has gotten himself scheduled  for the first
international conference on crystal meth in Prague. So far my
powerpoint has not.

Dana/cnw