[Ibogaine] GDNF IS the strong theoretical argument!

Dana Beal dana at phantom.com
Thu Feb 21 20:28:35 EST 2008

Alex Wodak wrote:
> Research gets carried out when either: (i) there are strong
> theoretical arguments why a treatment might work; or (ii)  there is
> some empirical data suggesting that a treatment does work.

Nick, wasn't the point of all this originally that the strong
theoretical arguments had been eliminated from the Users' Choice
Session in Barcelona, and Wodak inserted in their place? You may
fault my presentation, but I've honed the powerpoint and it's quite
snappy now. In fact, as I predicted before the D.C. forum, I was able
to cut the beginning off of it because Ken had already explained that
stuff, and just focus on the GDNF mechanism. You have to understand
that they're trying to use GDNF for a lot of dopamine-related
problems like Parkinson's, even proposing surgical implants of little
pumps in the brain. So if you could switch on a self-reinforcing GDNF
loop with ANY compound that would be sufficient reason to study it.

The empirical data is in Ken's paper, but nothing I've seen indicates
Wodak has read Ken or Mash's paper except for the abstracts.

He definitely is not familiar with the work of  Janak,  He, or Dorit
Ron. And they were studying ibogaine and alcohol, a drug of abuse
where there is no complicating considerations of an illicit status.

I was eliminated from that panel to send a message: IHRA wants to
have INPUD representing their needle-exchange clients, and they don't
want those who follow the cannabis/psychedic harm reduction path
butting in. Even if we're 80% of all users of illicit drugs, and our
drugs ARE less addictive and safer by any objective standard.

It's unfortunate that you seem to have fallen for Eric Madison's ad
hominems in the place of substance. I have my good days and my bad
days as far as giving a really coherent presentation, mostly related
to the amount of sleep I get the night before. For instance, I didn't
get enough sleep before I presented in London or  in New Orleans, and
in addition Peter Cohen ducked out of the room instead of coming
right before me as he was supposed to -- so I couldn't respond, and
Dimitri, who came next, was totally discombobulated.

Very manipulative behavior, if he was really that sure of his
arguments, I'd say.

Dana/cnw