[Ibogaine] Weird ibogaine story gets even weirder

Vector Vector vector620022002 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 12 05:49:55 EST 2008

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/4392782a6008.html

$2000 withheld in charity probe
Lucy Johnston - Marlborough | Friday, 08 February 2008

The Marlborough Art Society is refusing to release about $2000 raised
at a charity auction due to concerns about the authenticity of the
organisation that was to benefit from the fundraiser.

Its action has led the co-ordinator of the organisation denied the
money to lodge a complaint with police.

The art society helped organise and provided a venue for a charity
auction on January 29 for The New Zealand Chronic Pain Collective,
which is wanting to help fund overseas medical treatment for a
Marlborough Sounds woman, Charlotte Staples, who suffers multiple
chronic illnesses.
The auction, It's All in Your Head, was held at the art society
premises on High St, Blenheim.

The co-ordinator of the collective is the husband of Mrs Staples.
Art society president David Godden said the money raised would not be
released to the collective due to concerns about its authenticity.

"All of our attempts to establish the existence of the New Zealand
Chronic Pain Collective have failed.

"I'm unwilling to pay money to an entity if it doesn't exist" he said.
Mrs Staples' husband Sam has laid a complaint with Picton police
against the society which he says is withholding the money unlawfully.

The Marlborough Express was unable to verify the existence of the
collective or the Brisbane clinic where Mrs Staples wants to go. Mr
Staples said his wife needed a drug called Ibogaine, a pyschotropic
drug which is not registered in New Zealand but is needed for her to
become less dependent on the high levels of morphine she takes to cope
with her multiple diseases.

Many well-known artists donated work for the auction and more than 20
local businesses donated gift certificates to be auctioned in mystery
envelopes.
The auction was attended by mayor Alistair Sowman, and a print Mr
Staples had created of Mr Sowman was auctioned. Not all the donated art
works were sold.

The society has received complaints that the envelopes contained less
than was promoted.

Auctioneer Les Rodgers said he "only sold what I could sell. When
nobody bids what do you do? I tried to the best of my ability to sell
the work."

Mr Rodgers said he was told there was at least $100 in each envelope
and that is what he told the audience.

The art society has also refused to release works donated by individual
artists whose art was not sold on the night until they have clearance
from the artists to do so.