[Ibogaine] Barcelona Ibogaine session set for International Harm Reduction Conference

Dana Beal dana at phantom.com
Sat Feb 9 19:17:36 EST 2008

This actually NOT a followup to the Ibogaine Forum next weekend,
because the information on Ibogaine efficacy that me and Dr. Ken will
be presenting has been GUTTED from the panel, and REPLACED by an
Ibogaine Opponent who's PROUD that he is completely unfamiliar with
ibogaine, because he KNOWS  it must be a fraud. Here's what he's saying:

> Since the tragic experience of thalidomide some decades ago,
> medicine has been based firmly on scientific evidence. All
> interventions are assumed to be ineffective, unsafe and cost-
> ineffective until proven otherwise. Harm reduction is also based
> firmly on scientific evidence while conventional drug policy
> relying heavily on supply control has a weak committment to
> evidence. Theoretical justifications for interventions are of
> interest but they are no substitute for rigorous scientific
> evidence of effectiveness, safety and cost-effectiveness. For
> example, oral naltrexone has been strongly advocated by critics of
> harm reduction as a treatment for heroin dependence on the basis of
> attractive theory. However, empirical studies showed that clearly
> naltrexone is ineffective, unsafe and cost-ineffective as a
> treatment for heroin dependence. Published evidence for Ibogaine as
> a treatment for heroin dependence is unimpressive. Persistent and
> sincere advocacy for ibogaine is no substitute for rigorous
> evidence. 'Evidence' means several rigorous scientific trials
> published in reputable peer-reviewed scientific journals
> demonstrating major benefits consistently and in the absence of
> unacceptable side effects. Evidence of effectiveness preferably
> (but not necessarily) requires randomised controlled trials where
> this is possible. 'Evidence' is not a strong theoretical rationale.
> Advocates for Ibogaine and harm reduction clinicians and scientists
> will be brought closer together when all agree that all prevention
> and treatment interventions have to be based on rigorous scientific
> evidence of effectiveness, safety and cost-effectiveness.

The are no randomized trials for medications used to treat acute
opiate withdrawal because of a) the difficulty of eliciting a placebo
effect in some one who's kicking dope, b) the extreme unlikelihood
that folks wouldn't notice they did or did not take a psychedelic
drug, and c) the ethical impossibility of not unblinding the trial
once the clinician sees the robust ibogaine effect against frequently
fatal addiction to heroin and others drugs of abuse.

Remember, in FACING THE HABIT, 3 out 4 of the characters are dead of
heroin overdose by the end of the film.
There are published studies, but as I suspected, when I met Wodak in
New Orleans, he had never read them. One of the first things I saw
was email from him saying that there were "more important things to
discuss." It is also somewhat disingenuous to demand results from
clinical trials after years of lobbying against clinical trials, on
the grounds that there's not enough evidence to justify doing a
clinical trial to begin with. The action by IHRA in forcing an
opponent onto the panel shows that their trashing of ibogaine with
the Iranians after Dimitri Mougainis introduced it to them in Warsaw
represents a consistent policy that is probably responsible for ibo
being dropped by the Australian media after being in vogue a few
years back.

After all, they went to the experts, who said that it didn't
work--"no evidence."  Alex Wodak is the former head of the
International Harm Reduction Association.

The comparison to thalidomide is especially offensive because
Ibogaine was in medical use as lamborine for 40 years before it was
banned as a psychedelic, and any really serious but unsuspected
effects comparable to babies being born with seal flippers instead of
arms would have emerged during that time. And the comparison to UROD
(naltrexone) cannot be sustained on the grounds that a kappa opioid
agonist is comparable to an mu opioid blocker, when acute alpha3beta4
nicotinic antagonist (like Welbutrin) and serotonergic effects may
actually be more responsible for addiction interruption, while there
is no indication whatsoever that UROD switches on a neurotropin
(GDNF) that regrows dopamine neurons and self-replicates, so that you
don't have to keep taking ibogine to get the longer-term "curative"
effects.

I was booted from the panel because Stijn, the head of INPUD, said I
was interfering in his panel scheduling by asking that Wodak respond
specifically to the ibogaine information instead of hiding behind
generalities, and requesting some one who could present on safety
issues. Unbeknownst to me, he was overruled on the second point
anyway because IHRA had no other place to put Perez Alonso after
accepting his abstract--which gives you some idea of who is actually
in charge, even though Stijn says he did all on his ownsome it in a
fit of pique.

It was OUR panel before that, preferred by a majority of users'
organizations as one of two "users' choice" sessions. I left New
Orleans believing that I was still on it and that things with Wodak
could be worked out with the eventual outcome of even having clinical
trials in Australia.

Instead participants WILL NOT GET information that contradicts Wodak.
Instead I am excluded to an exhibition hall where I can stand next to
a poster of my slides, clearly implying that my information doesn't
cut it, that it hasn't made the grade, that it has no basis in
science. That's interesting, inasmuch as it is somewhat duplicative
of the presentation Dr. Ken is giving next Saturday morning in
Washington, D.C.

Meanwhile, I am informed that Stijn wants INPUD (International
Network of People who Use Drugs) to represent the hard drugs users,
and ENCOD, the group putting on the Vienna UN protest March 7 - 9 to
stick to representing cannabis users. Which is consistent  with the
mandate of the British Govt Department for International Development
to fight AIDS among IDUs, leaving 80 % of users who just use cannabis
or psychedelics outside of any legal or administrative protections
they manage to wrangle for their clients/patients.

One of the issues of ENCOD vs INPUD is the right to use without being
automatically considered a patient, with the restrictions that
implies for civil rights.

Stijn may say that he's only trying to arrange a dialog between
proponents and opponents, but Wodak is already somewhat notorious in
harm reduction circles for opposing provision of narcan to addict
activists for overdose prevention, on the grounds that there's "no
evidence of efficacy," even though the stuff is routine medication
for EMS techs who show up (usually too late) at the scene of the
overdose. Interesting, Wodak is trying to get a clinical trial going
for dex-amphetamine maintenance for meth-heads, while Stijn has
managed to get himself a prescription for speed of some kind. So I
can't help but feel they're still trying to keep ibogaine from being
studied as an alternative to heroin and amphetamine maintenance (how
about low-dose ibogaine vs. speed?). And, based on the ambivalent
reaction I got at the INPUD meeting in New Orleans to my challenge to
join with the Worldwide Marijuana March in a united front, that this
is a deliberate action to alienate the pot movement by refusing us a
seat at the table.

Dana/cnw