[Ibogaine] The National Institute on Drug Abuse has introduced a strategic plan

Scott Doran doranman2 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 09:05:48 EST 2008

Email to NIDA. Hope I wasn't too indignant.

Thank you for the opportunity to offer feedback related to NIDA's strategic
plans. Having worked in addictions. I too share concerns for those suffering
from an unhealthy relationship with drugs. It is not always easy to
recognize the correct course of action, and so we must learn from our
mistakes if we expect to make progress in the development of effective plans
for the  treatment of addiction.

I believe that the failure of NIDA to investigate Ibogaine as a valid
treatment option has been a grave error. When science becomes an arm of the
political process, it fails to employ scientific method in an objective
manner. Why has the testimony of so many fallen on deaf ears. Would your
funding be threatened? Would you be ostracized and marginalized by your
peers? Or do you just lack the courage to explore the unmapped terrain of
the human psyche? Has anyone in NIDA listened to the many of providers and
citizens who testify to the therapeutic effect of Ibogaine? After providing
Ibogaine sessions an addict at the University of Miami, Dr. Deborah
reported, "It was nothing short of miraculous". After funding dried up for
Ibogaine research, despite reports of Ibogaines effectiveness,  Dr. Mash had
been forced to set up her Ibogaine clinic in St. Kitts, as many Ibogaine
providers are forced to offer services outside the U.S. in order to continue
this service.  Perhaps reports of miracles lend you to the believe she has
lost scientific perspective, but doesn't it arouse a little scientific
curiosity in anyone at NIDA? I am only a nurse and it does me.

I recognize that NIDA is a well intentioned organization with many fine
members, so I hope my words are taken well.  I'm not sure you good folks
know what's really going on in the trenches of this so called "war on drugs"
(poor choice of words), but I believe you would serve the people you are
trying to help by at least running some clinical trials with Ibogaine. I
believe the results would tell you what to do from there.