[Ibogaine] Ketamine

Warren Theriot wleetheriot at ca.rr.com
Mon Dec 29 21:06:29 EST 2008

Reading into the full PDF of this article, I discovered a paragraph:

"Avoidance of Tolerance and Addiction

In most cases of chronic pain other than neuropathic pain, opiate
analgesics are initially very effective in alleviating the pain, but
the patient rapidly develops tolerance to the opiate, so that an
escalation of the opiate dosage is required to keep the pain under
control. This can lead to physical dependence upon, and addiction to,
the opiate.

In a new type of chronic pain treatment disclosed herein, three
different drugs are used. A relatively low dosage of an opiate
analgesic is administered, to treat the chronic pain. An NMDA
antagonist is also administered, to prevent or reduce the development
of tolerance or addiction to the opiate analgesic. As the third
component, a 5HT-2A agonist drug is also administered, to prevent any
neurotoxic side effects from being caused by the NMDA antagonist.

Accordingly, this invention discloses a mixture, comprising: (1) an
opiate analgesic, at a dosage which helps control chronic pain; (2) an
NMDA antagonist, at a dosage which reduces the development of
tolerance or addiction to the opiate analgesic; and, (3) a 5HT-2A
agonist drug, at a dosage which prevents any neurotoxic side effects
from being caused by the NMDA antagonist. This invention also
discloses a method of treating chronic pain, by means of administering
all three drugs to a patient, either in a mixture or by means of
overlapping regimens, so that all three drugs can exert their effects
simultaneously."

which was preceeded in the report by the statements about no prior art
having been established regarding the patent application using 5-HT2A
agonists to deter the negative effects of NMDA antagonists. However
the research and patents on Ibogaine seem to establish prior art in
the method of administering an NMDA antagonist combined with a 5HT2A
agonist [Ibogaine] plus an opioid to both address chronic pain
treatment while deterring addiction to opioids. I think Ibogaine
already has determined a precident for all of these actions. Comments?
Warren