[Ibogaine] Ibogaine Synthesis (and a question)

Carlton B hokkaidocrow at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 16:49:32 EDT 2007

On 9/27/07, simon loxton <simonloxton at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Funny enough I was discussing the unlikelihood of people using ibogaine for
> kicks and according to the guys I recently spent some time with, there are
> people in Gabon who do just that, in fact his brother was the example that
> he used. He said allot of people take it with honey to avoid the bitterness
> but it seems that it also has the potential to be abused or misused.
> Obviously nobody takes the kind of dosage that is used during initiation or
> addiction interruption (if you want to be politically correct about the
> terminology) but it is still being used for kicks.

I get a little tetchy when people characterize other peoples' use of
entheogens as "for kicks".   Just because one doesn't light candles
and chant doesn't mean that their use of a substance is devoid of
spirituality, even if, lord forbid, they actually get a bit of joy and
pleasure out of it.  If anybody is entitled to define the acceptable
use of ibogaine (and I'm not saying anyone does own that privilege),
then it might as well be the Gabonese.  It's their native medicine,
we're just borrowing it.