[Ibogaine] Ibogaine Synthesis (and a question)

Carlton B hokkaidocrow at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 18:46:39 EDT 2007

I have looked at the Gobey labs process for semi-synthesis of ibogaine
from voacangine and honestly it doesn't look that complicated nor
dangerous to me... really not much more advanced than 1st semester
organic chem 1, in my opinion.  Here it is:
http://www.puzzlepiece.org/ibogaine/literature/janot1957.pdf

Nonetheless, I've been told that (as one might suspect) there are
hidden difficulties that aren't apparent in the method, but the
details were not made more specific than that.

But the main problem with the Gobey semi-synthesis is sourcing pure
voacangine... apparently not a lot of it is being produced.    Apart
from just the process, the main problem with iboga, whether extracting
it from T. iboga or semi-synthesis from V. Africana extracts, always
comes down to working with the raw plant material.  Apparently it
takes many kilograms of plant material, then extra effort to purify
it.