[Ibogaine] simon/methadone detox

Charles Rossouw charles at ibogainesa.co.za
Sat Sep 22 06:33:49 EDT 2007

Hi Captain

We have also had experience with Methadone, and have found that treatment over a period of time works better for long-term methadone (and also for buprenorphine) users.  Whether it is best to step-dose before or to give maintenance doses after the initial "Flood", I cannot say.  We give a "flood" dose at the start and then follow with small maintenance daily doses, or other supportive measures (if the patient doesn't feel like taking more Ibogaine) at the moment.  We have in the past even allowed patients to have a second "full" treatment after two weeks, and we are inclined to go that route these days for the long acting opiates.

What I can say, is that direct support in a controlled situation is of paramount importance, as you stated.  We have seen withdrawals (measured objectively) from methadone after Ibogaine for up to 10 days, and for buprenorphine for up to 21 days. I can just imagine that a person can be discouraged very easily, taking into account the residual side-effects from the Ibogaine (Especially sleeplesness and slight depression) if the patient has to deal with real withdrawals also for this period, without support, in a free environment.  By support I mean pshychological and physical support, meaning counseling, good diet, appropriate medication, alternative therapies, etc.  And this support (again you are right) should be there until it is no longer needed, which differs from person to person.

Kind regards

Charles
_____________________________________
NHP / Dr Charles Rossouw  (Reg no 5806430)
NHP / Dr Kevin Walker (Reg no 6206429)

Disclaimer and Confidentiality Note:
This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which
it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged,
confidential and exempt from exposure under applicable law.   If the reader
of this message is not the sole authorised recipient you are hereby
notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of the
communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this in error
please destroy immediately. Whilst suitable precautions against virus
transmittal are taken by IBOGAINE HOLDINGS SA (Pty)  Ltd (and associated companies) we
cannot accept any responsibility for viruses or their consequences.
3 Harry van Wyk Ave
Norkem Park
Kempton Park
1618