[Ibogaine] dogy ibogaine misinformation page

Dana Beal Dana at phantom.com
Sun Sep 9 10:15:42 EDT 2007

It's L. Ron Hubbard, alright. 1950's level mis-info. Fat around the
bloodvessels! I suggest everyone on the list read

Dorit Ron and Patricia H. Janak "GDNF and Addiction"; Reviews in the
Neurosciences (2005)

Dao-Yao He, Nancy McGough, Ajay Ravindranathan, Jerome Jeanblanc,
Marian Logrip, Khanhky Phamluong, Patricia Janak and Dorit    Ron
"Glial Cell Line-Derived Neurotropic Factor Mediates the Desirable
Actions of the Anti-Addiction Drug Ibogaine against Alcohol
Consumption", Journal of Neuro-Science (January, 2005)

Dao-Yao He and Dorit Ron "Autoregulation of glial cell line-derived
neurotropic factor expression: implications for the long-lasting
actions of the anti-addiction drug, Ibogaine" The FASAEB Journal
(October 3, 2006).

Note that the date on these is 2005, not 1955.

I have never seen any indication that hypnosis can act at a cellular
level to switch on a neurotropin (growth factor). However,
scientologists are not alone in their confusion of the effects of
other psychedelics such as LSD with ibo. In this they are in the good
company of Strassman and Doblin, who want desperately to believe that
their favorite drug--be it LSD or MDMA--must of course have all the
benefits of the iboga alkaloids--because iboga is no fun, and they're
not into anything they don't take themselves.

The antidote for utter bullshit is good science.

Dana/cnw