[Ibogaine] How many times does this guy repeat himself?

Matthew Shriver Matt at ITSupport.net
Thu Nov 15 20:11:05 EST 2007

This mention of randomized controlled trials reminds me of Richard Alpert
talking about the absurdity of double blind trials for acid back in the day.
You would have the control group saying "yeah I think I might feel
something" and the other groups saying "holy fucking shit I can't begin to
describe what is happening" and everybody knew who got the placebo and who
got the real deal.  And nevermind the fact that it would be inhumane to tell
someone going into withdrawal that you were going to give them something
that would help with the withdrawal and then give them a friggin sugar pill.
Seriously, it's ridiculous.

But even so, given that the most common and most accepted treatment for any
drug addiction is going to a "rehab" and "detoxing", I think anything even
remotely effective would have to fare better in a comparison of long term
abstinence.  The success rate for traditional rehabs is abysmally low.  I
think any serious comparison with ibogaine would demonstrate a huge
difference in efficacy and that difference alone would seem to suggest
ibogaine's value in this area.  And as far as cost effectiveness, even at an
ibogaine treatment facility you are looking at a much lower financial cost
then traditional rehab.  Given that rehab is the most common alternative, I
think it's a pretty weak case to argue against ibogaine's cost
effectiveness.

Matt

  _____