[Ibogaine] implications for the long-lasting actions of the anti-addictio...

Matthew Shriver Matt at ITSupport.net
Fri Oct 13 09:23:11 EDT 2006

Hey Warren

What occurred to me when I read this is that maybe you should take some time
and be a little more careful about what you put into your mind.  I view the
mind similar to the body in that regard in that I am careful about what I
put into each.  Being careful about food and toxins is easy enough (sort of)
but being careful about what you put into your mind can be more difficult I
find.

When I first got clean a few years ago I stopped watching TV entirely
(something I still don't do) but I also found that I had to stop reading the
news papers.  I willfully made myself ignorant of world events for probably
about a year and half.  I just found that every time I read the news I got
irritated and angry at the phenomenal idiocy that abounds in the human race.
Since then I have been able to return to reading the news (I pretty much
read the NY Times and the BBC websites everyday) and it doesn't spin me out
so bad anymore.  To be sure all the idiocy is still in the news, I just
don't have to take it all so personally these days.  I also am fairly
careful about what movies I watch.  I don't watch movies that I know have
gratuitous violence or gore.  That is a little harder to control though
because you don't always know when they are going to use that stuff in a
movie.  Sometimes it's obvious before you see the movie and sometimes not so
much.  I like to watch computer animated kids movies though and they are
generally pretty safe.  There is a general callousness and lack of
compassion I see in society at large that I don't want to incorporate into
my own being.  I see evidence for this in what passes for entertainment.
Even on youtube and google video you can see endless clips of accidents and
other people's misfortunes that are passed off as entertainment.  Some even
have voice-overs from TV announcers when they have been spliced from TV
shows so you know that the underlying assumption is supposed to be that it
is funny.  I try to avoid such tripe when possible but it's not always so
easy in this day and age.  But what I have managed to avoid is the notion
that these things are funny or entertaining.  But I also somehow manage to
avoid the intense negativity that comes from dwelling on what it says about
the state of the human race that this crap is considered entertainment at
all.

Also in regards to your second to last sentence, I'm pretty sure you need
REM sleep to function.  You may want to consider stopping the pills if they
are inhibiting REM sleep.

Matt

  _____