elephants on iboga fruit - "Drunks with trunks"

slowone at hush.ai slowone at hush.ai
Tue Oct 10 01:56:51 EDT 2006

Sunday Times "Drunks with trunks"

Alcoholic elephants, naked cyclists, lethal kites and £1,000-a-day
car hire: getting to grips with Gabon isn't easy, but it's worth it

As an excuse for a late train, it was certainly more imaginative
than
blaming leaves on the line. A herd of drunken elephants had
wandered
in front of the train heading towards Lopé, in the middle of the
Gabonese jungle. Four of the elephants had been killed, and the
engine and two carriages had been derailed. The line was completely

blocked. The stationmaster sweated profusely in the equatorial heat

as he explained the problem to our small group waiting on the Lopé
station platform. "It's the iboga fruit they keep eating," he
grumbled, apparently annoyed at the herd's failure to obey railway
regulations. "They get intoxicated and stagger around on our
lines."

http://www.timesonl ine.co.uk/ article/0, ,2100-2318541, 00.html

Concerned about your privacy? Instantly send FREE secure email, no account required
http://www.hushmail.com/send?l=480

https://www.hushssl.com?l=485