[Ibogaine] psych drug fraud

Matthew Shriver Matt at ITSupport.net
Sun Oct 8 13:49:14 EDT 2006

I know I already commented on this website but I wanted to say one more
thing.  I don't know if this is indicative of Scientology or just a
characteristic of this website but this site is built around the western
philosophical position that what is not scientific is not real.  There is an
implicit attitude in science in general that says that what cannot be
empirically measured and verified has no validity.  The irony of this
position has been pointed out by others and that is that there is no
empirically verifiable evidence to support the position that only
empirically verifiable evidence has validity.  The purely scientific view
ignores the fact that it cannot justify itself by its own standards.

What is truly harmful about this philosophical viewpoint is that it
dismisses as irrelevant such things as value judgments, conscience,
consciousness, spirit, and any notions whatsoever of God or a universal
spirit.  Because psychiatry attempts to deal with problems of consciousness
and mind it is dealing with things that science itself cannot deal with
because it cannot completely validate these things with its own standards of
empiricism.  I guess the point is that a purely scientific viewpoint is not
equipped nor justified in leveling any criticisms at areas of knowledge in
which its own empirical processes cannot illumine.

I know there is an attempt in psychiatry to be scientific by using things
like repeatable, verifiable experiments but ultimately any knowledge quest
that relies on the subjective views of individuals cannot be made into a
science in the same sense as purely objective sciences like biology or
chemistry.  To the pure scientist consciousness itself is simply some sort
of random side effect of a chemical situation in a biological organ and is,
in itself, irrelevant.  Only the chemical processes going on in the brain
have any real relevance, and therefore reality, by this world view.  A
vastly incomplete philosophical world view if you asked me.
Matt