[Ibogaine] psichotic sympthomes or psychosis?

Nick Sandberg nick227 at tiscali.co.uk
Sun Oct 8 08:45:52 EDT 2006

Coming in a bit at the end of this thread, I would like to say that, as a
therapist, I think it is very risky to consider giving a psychoactive
substance like ibogaine to anyone with psychotic tendencies. So, I totally
agree with what you are saying here, Atilla. I've had people on the phone to
me before convinced that ibogaine has "fucked their brains up," and no
amount of therapeutic explaining about "not being ready to face your shadow
side" really helps so much. If someone is already pretty fragmented I think
it would be acutely risky.

Of course, as a friend, and if realistically no other options remain, it is
still something that could be tried in a kind of "kill or cure" strategy.
The question is whether someone with psychotic symptoms is capable of making
a reasonably informed decision about taking it.

Sometimes people take ibogaine and it changes their lives so much they
naturally assume that it's just some wondrous cure-all. They maybe don't
realize so much that, actually, it is they who were ready to change and that
not everyone else is.

Nick