[Ibogaine] psych drug fraud

firefly lik4luk at yahoo.com.au
Sun Oct 8 03:51:59 EDT 2006

Hey Matt,
  I totally agree witj wot u say as a sufferer I fully think there is a place for SOME of these drugs.My Mum has owned and run a pharmacutical company here for my entire life and I do see the amount of nasty drugs go out the door But some of us arnt as lucky to have our heads work 'properly' or even well enuf to 'fit into'society.I dont really know  alot on Tom and his scientology beliefs which is where his theory comes from.I believe he is still learning too and with his abnormal life he prob/maybe won't-esp about pshyco-active drugs and illnesses.
  Hell he made his wife be silent during child birth.
  Tanz.

Matthew Shriver <Matt at ITSupport.net> wrote:
  Tom Cruise completely aside I think the position of the people behind the
video is too extreme. As someone who has suffered from professionally
diagnosed and self-diagnosed depression; and I mean long lasting,
debilitating, entrenched, very dark periods, and as someone who is currently
benefiting from anti-depressants, I think to say that all psychiatry and all
psychiatric drugs are a fraud is simply inaccurate. I also personally know
a person who was diagnosed schizophrenic who does way better on meds. And
the difference for her is the difference between going to seemingly random
places and engaging in bizarre behavior that gets her arrested (which is
what happens when she is un-medicated) and actually functioning somewhat
normally, albeit still with a weird streak (when she is on her meds). But
that difference is pretty big I would imagine for her.

Now having said all of that in defense of psychiatric drugs I am also a firm
believer that the whole "chemical imbalance" story is one used way too often
and probably results in a lot of people being placed on meds they don't need
to be. I agree that according to the DSM-IV just about everybody has a
diagnosable mental illness which may be a little extreme. However given the
state of society and some of the things that are considered healthy or
normal I am not so sure that most of society isn't somewhat mentally ill,
just probably not in the same way that the DSM-IV would say they are
mentally ill.

I also believe that my personal struggles with depression are most likely
resulting from long term beliefs and thought patterns that I have created or
at least conditioned in my own mind which would suggest that the more
effective treatment would be to examine and change them rather then medicate
the symptoms. But when you are having a hard time even showing up for your
life I think a little help from medications is not altogether uncalled for.
If I could "just get over it" as Vector suggests Tom Cruise's attitude is,
you can bet your ass I would. But somehow that wasn't happening for me.

I guess I would say that these people have some valid points but in
correcting the problem, they seem to be willing to throw the baby out with
the bath water.
Matt