[Ibogaine] Amitriptyline

jon at mindvox.com jon at mindvox.com
Fri Oct 6 17:17:06 EDT 2006

Amitriptyline is a tricyclic antidepressant and is still commonly used to
treat depression, particularly for what's known "refractory" or "treatment
resistant" depression. It's also the most common medication used to treat
obsessive compulsive disorder, as the newer antidepressants don't tend to
work as well for that.

I would strongly advise discontinuing the amitryptyline for at least 2
weeks prior to taking ibogaine. The first two points mentioned below are
strong contraindications, but most importantly, mixing ibogaine and
amitriptyline could result in serotonin syndrome, which can be fatal; or,
at the very least, highly unpleasant.

If you do choose to do stop the amitriptyline so you can take ibogaine, DO
NOT DO SO ABRUPTLY. You should taper off slowly, over the course of a week
or two depending on your dosage, ideally under a doctor's supervision.