[Ibogaine] Amitriptyline

Carlton B hokkaidocrow at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 14:31:25 EDT 2006

Disclaimer:  I am not a doctor, you should seek medical advice first, and
listen to me only if you can't get that.  I don't have any experience mixing
amitriptylene and ibogaine, although I have firsthand knowledge of taking
both.

Here are some considerations:
1st and formost)  The ibogaine administration protocol contraindicates
ingestion of substances that prolong the Q-T interval (because ibogaine also
has this effect).   Amitriptylene prolongs the Q-T interval.   The risk is
serious and possibly fatal heart arrhythmia.
2nd)  Ibogaine and amitriptylene are both metabolized by cytochrome p450 and
would probably compete for that enzyme, meaning they would both linger in
the blood plasma longer.
3rd)   Ibogaine is known to be an oneiric, a dream-inducing or
dream-potentiating substance.   Amitriptylene is known to produce intense,
vivid dreams and nightmares.  I don't think you want to be multiplying that
effect.

So if you consulted a doctor, which is a better idea than listening to me, I
think their response would be:
1)  Make sure you are well clear of amitriptylene before dosing ibogaine,
like a month at the minimum
2)  Who uses amitriptylene anymore anyway?   Whatever the reason for taking
it, almost certainly there's a better drug that isn't so hard on you.