[Ibogaine] correction

Mason Shipley maseshipley at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 12:03:35 EDT 2006

Having spent much of my time in "the rooms" which are 12 step meetings
for those here who have never had the investigation prior to the
contempt part happen for them, I hate to ruin anyone's terminal
uniqueness, but the personality squabbles that shouldn't happen, yet
always do and infighting are absolutely the same as what you find in
any large organisation dealing with "recovery" in its many forms. No
difference at all really except the power structure is a little
different here, not necessarily in a bad way, in the rooms no matter
what you have to say, no matter how true, insightful or correct, would
be ignored out of hand if you weren't "clean" because nothing you say
is worth listening to if you have no clean time, it's meaningless
fluff coming from a person who can't even help themselves or accept
the help being offered, so it will be met with being patronized or
outright contempt, whereas here it's merely ignored, or taken up by
half a dozen people who were never even on drugs in the first place
and like to listen to themselves talk endlessly. Which is another
difference, anywhere else when you're dealing with addiction, not one
word you have to say would be heard by anyone, if you've never been an
addict, especially if you happen to be a doctor who treats addicts
(prepare to find a new career or get tar and feathered).

It would be nice if addicts didn't behave like addicts, but for some
reason I don't see that ever happening, no matter the level of hands
on policing, monitoring, rules and whatnot. One of the largest
addiction oriented forums I used to read a long time ago which was a
moderated list primarily designed for doctors and scientists in the
addiction field, generated so much ranting and hate mail, this from
the "treatment professionals" talking to one another, that it made
itself useless in a short span of time. For what its worth I'm talking
about the addiction-l list which many here may have been part of at
one time or another, I won't even start on the large methadone forums.

Considering how emotionally loaded many of the topics are, the
majority of the participants being addicts and the new twist of a
schedule I psychedelic substance with endless lawsuits and ego wars
being at the center of all this, the most remarkable thing is that all
of it works at all, much less as well as it seems to.

-Mase