[Ibogaine]Questions about LAMM and Ibogaine

HSLotsof at aol.com HSLotsof at aol.com
Mon Oct 2 20:49:03 EDT 2006

In a message dated 10/2/06 6:29:48 PM, BiscuitBoy714 at aol.com writes:

> In a message dated 9/23/2006 2:48:57 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
> vector620022002 at yahoo.com writes:
>
>  Levo alphacetylmethadol (LAAM), for example, was a
> Schedule I drug when it was developed as a narcotic treatment drug.
> However, the potential for brain damage in humans, as well as the
> deaths of some clients undergoing ibogaine "treatment" in Europe,
> raises concerns regarding future administration of Ibogaine to humans
>

>  I've been reading and getting rid of old mail and came across this. Why
> would LAAM get approved so fast and not Ibogaine. It is my understanding that
> there was a lot of deaths behind the administering of LAMM. I know personally a
> couple of guys in KY that damn near died from this stuff. I know that it is
> no longer being used in KY, what about the rest of the US? It's like a longer
> acting methadone isn't it? Has anyone ever been treated with Ibogaine
> treatments for LAMM? I'm curious and any input is welcomed here.       Randy

LAAM was approved because it was developed by the National Institute on Drug
Abuse (NIDA).   It took them about twenty years.   At one point all of their
data was disallowed by the FDA because the contract research organization they
were using was found to be guilty of some FDA submission offense so all of
that company's data was disallowed including that for LAAM.      I haven't
probably gotten that exactly right but, close enough.   Once LAAM was approved after
some years they found that it had associated cardiac fatalities and the
manufacturer discontinued it as it was not exactly a money maker. I am not sure
whether anyone on LAAM was ever treated with ibogaine.   My guess would be not
unless they were first transferred to a short acting narcotic, a common practice
on St. Kitts to my understanding. What is interesting is that LAAM is an
example of a schedule I drug that was rescheduled.   This is most likely what
would happen with ibogaine if it is ever moved through the FDA approval process.
The FDA approved an ibogaine study at the University of Miami in 1993 but the
work was abandoned when D. Mash opted to open St. Kitts rather than continue
the work.

Howard