[Ibogaine] A glowing review of Iboga Therapy House in Canada

Sandra Karpetas sandra at ibogatherapyhouse.net
Mon Oct 2 17:53:21 EDT 2006

The story so far...(uber short version)

Marc's funding ceased in June of '04.The ITH became a non-profit in May
'05. I was the third employee hired in the project to help Marc with
intake, programming and to setup a protocol for research. I basically
become director in mid 2003 and continued trying to improve and continue
the project after he could no longer fund it. We tried applying to
Health Canada for funding, but  we need to do some solid data collection
and research before they can justify funding something like this (that
is now what we are working towards). It took a long while to set it all
up again in an improved, holistic, safe and supportive scenario but we
did so with encouragement from MAPS (multidisciplinary association for
psychedelic studies - www.maps.org). We reopened in March of '06 with a
whole new setup, team and programming model (harm reduction therapy
based). We do have to charge for the therapy unfortunately but are doing
so as a non-profit because our end goal is to do the research that it
takes to eventually make it available to the people who need it most. We
have a team of 9 wonderful and knowledgeable facilitators including a
nurse, a med student and a massage therapist, 2 emergency medical
technicians, a substance counselor and myself as director and facilitator.

We have been working on a protocol for an observational study with MAPS
on the long-term effects of ibo treatment for chemical dependence. MAPS
finally gained ethical approval for the study this August. We are
beginning the study in November. More info here:
http://www.maps.org/ibogaine/

We've come a long way I think, and further still yet to go...and that
goes for the whole ibogaine movement. Keep up the good work everybody,
we know what the potentials are and they are astounding, no?

Cheers,

Sandra

Re: [Ibogaine] A glowing review of Iboga Therapy House in Canada