[Ibogaine] from methadone list - Herman Joseph on stigma and methadone

Nick Sandberg nick227 at tiscali.co.uk
Fri Mar 31 08:42:39 EST 2006

  -----Original Message-----
  From: Alan Hehe [mailto:a.h.veil68 at hotmail.com]
  Sent: 30 March 2006 23:56
  To: ibogaine at mindvox.com
  Subject: Re: [Ibogaine] from methadone list - Herman Joseph on stigma and
methadone

    Hey everyone. Nick, what is your deal? I bet you subscribe to that whole
"tough love" theory too, eh?

  Hey Alan,

  I believe that if you see someone you care about doing shit you don't
think is good for them then you should call them on it, yes. Is this what
you mean?

   And how, pray tell, is abusive language going to make a difference on the
"supposed" reptilian brain, since that part of the brain --the reptilian
part--is much older than the part that deals with language.

  It attracts attention.

    I wonder if you're not just trying to stir up controversy. And why don't
you answer Preston's question as to whether you've ever been an addict, or
experienced  withdrawal, or--especially--the stigma that comes with using or
abusing any drugs--and in the minds of many, there is no difference.

  I'm not a drug addict and I never have been. I work as a therapist
assisting with Humaniversity therapy groups here at the Leela Centre where I
live and in Holland at the Humaniversity. Leela is not a TC, does not
primarily deal with addiction issues, Humaniversity is. This is my
experiential background. However, if you care to actually read what I am
saying, as opposed to simply reacting, you will see that this has little to
do with anything of it.

  If you do not like what I write, then why not simply say so? You want to
engage in discussion, then you imply that somehow, because I'm not an
addict, I don't know anything about the human condition as it is for
addicts. That's just bollocks. Addicts are no different from anybody else.
But suddenly this is the moment for them to be "different", when the
pressure is on a little suddenly it's "I don't have to listen to you because
you're not 'like me.'" I mean, shit, did you ever hear such a manipulative
load of old bollocks in your life? I'd be embarrassed to come out with that
crap.

  I do not see addicts as addicts first but as people first, with addiction
issues.

   Well, there certainly is, I can tell you that. Through-out my life I've
experimented with many drugs, for varying lengths of time...and always, I
would eventually tire of whatever chemical I was using (with the exception
of marijuana, which I view as a medicine and sacrament..although even my use
of this has been prevented by the worms who have nothing better to do than
tell others what THEY can and cannot do) and leave it behind. The same would
be true of my use of opiates, were it not for my inability to withstand the
withdrawal...and let me tell you, NO ONE CAN POSSIBLY UNDERSTAND EITHER THE
BLISS OF POWERFUL OPIATES, OR THE HELL WITHDRAWALING FROM THEM!.
Personally, I'm tired of this whole subject; if you truly are an addict, I'm
sure you can find someone to abuse you night and day with offensive
language. Let me know when it starts to work. I don't mean to be rude, but
addicts--a term that I hate--go thru enough abuse without any extra. Peace!

  Opiates I don't take and have only taken a little in my life. Opiate is an
analgesic, it stops you feeling. If you experience bliss from an analgesic
it is because your body is struggling to hold down a lot of feelings your
ego has decided it doesn't want to have. I don't see another reason for it,
happy to hear one if you have it. And I'm not just being a judgmental mf. It
can happen to anyone. If your ego orientation is strongly away from feeling,
you want to look cool, but you actually have a lot of feelings then opiates
will give bliss for sure. Some people need opiates just to keep feelings
down enough to function. It's common.

  Nick