[Ibogaine] Boaz Wachtal update

Preston Peet ptpeet at nyc.rr.com
Mon Mar 20 13:53:42 EST 2006

In friendliest terms, this "strychnine in LSD" thing is a complete myth, not
to burst any bubbles.
Shit acid, no problem believing- strychnine no- won't you DIE, or at least
Be Poisoned if you eat strychnine? Think about it.

http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/lsd/lsd_myth2.shtml

Strychnine in LSD?
by Erowid

MYTH ORIGINS
Looking into the origin of the strychnine rumor, some slim basis for it can
be found. One report in the professional literature was by Sid Schnoll
(Schnoll, SH & Vogel, WH (1971) New Engl J Med 284(14):791) who reported a
positive thin-layer chromatography (TLC) result in a sample of LSD. TLC is a
screening test only and not suited for definite identification. When Sid was
contacted he said that, to the best of his recollection, the sample had only
a trace of strychnine and that it was never confirmed with another method.
The other report of note comes from the popular press: Albert Hofmann's LSD:
My problem child. In the book, Albert reported that strychnine had been sold
as LSD powder, two people had ingested it and one had died. When contacted,
Albert could not provide details of how he analyzed the sample presented to
him or any information on the clinical course of these two people, but said
that this event had occured in 1970 and that no toxicologic analyses had
been performed on any clinical specimens. It should be noted that in this
case, LSD was not involved. LSD was not adulterated with strychnine, but
rather strychnine was represented as being LSD.
The first published reports of strychnine contaminated LSD predate 1970 and
have of course persisted, even being enshrined in the American Psychiatric
Association's Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (4th
ed.), despite the lack of any conclusive evidence.
http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/lsd/lsd_myth5.shtml
Strychnine in LSD?