Fw: [Ibogaine] medical marijuana

Preston Peet ptpeet at nyc.rr.com
Thu Jun 29 23:01:54 EDT 2006

Wait a minute- thought this was good news, but apparently I read it wrongly or somethin.
>From the Marijuana Policy Poject newletter today:
Dear Preston Peet:

Today, June 28, the U.S. House of Representatives defeated by a vote of 163-259 an amendment that would have prevented the DEA and the U.S. Justice Department from spending any more taxpayer money to raid and prosecute medical marijuana patients and providers in the 11 states where medical marijuana is legal.

Although we lost, today's vote was a stronger showing than political observers had predicted, in large part because of the more than 5,000 letters that MPP members and allies sent to their U.S. representatives in the last week. Fully 72% of House Democrats voted for our amendment, and 18 House Republicans bucked the White House to vote "yes."

This is only the fourth time in history that the full House has voted on binding legislation to end the federal government's war on medical marijuana. (The U.S. Senate never has.) Today's vote was a record vote for medical marijuana — the legislation received two more votes than it did on June 15, 2005, and this is an election year.

Leading up to the vote, the MPP staff and our lobbyists had more than 250 meetings with House members, including visiting every single Republican House office, which had never happened before. In the days leading up to the vote, we also delivered plastic handcuffs to more than 100 House offices with "evidence tags" asking them to vote for the amendment, and we generated several thousand constituent phone calls and thousands of letters to members of Congress.

Additionally, MPP nurtured connections within the conservative movement for months leading up to the vote, which helped lay the groundwork for the letter that was sent to Congress this week by a host of prominent conservative organizations, blasting the federal government for wasting tax dollars on raiding medical marijuana patients.

MPP also coordinated an unprecedented grassroots campaign in California to pressure the state's Republican congressional delegation to support the amendment and funded, through MPP's grants program, the former executive director of the San Diego Republican Party to lobby for the amendment. We also placed organizers in key congressional districts throughout the country to run high-pressure grassroots campaigns directed at targeted swing votes.

Now that the amendment has 163 votes, in the next year we'll be targeting a smaller number of districts to pick up the remaining 55 votes we need to reach a 218-vote majority.

The momentum is on our side, and we'll keep fighting until Congress listens to the American people and ends the government's cruel and needless war on sick people.

If you support the work that MPP is doing — work that today forced each member of the U.S. House of Representatives to take a public stand on the question of arresting and imprisoning seriously ill patients — please help us continue by making a financial contribution today. We need you standing with us as we continue the fight.

Sincerely,

Rob Kampia
Executive Director
Marijuana Policy Project
Washington, D.C.

Peace, love and respect,
Preston Peet

"Madness is not enlightenment, but the search for enlightenment is often mistaken for madness"
Richard Davenport-Hines

ptpeet at nyc.rr.com
Editor "Underground- The Disinformation Guide to Ancient Civilizations, Astonishing Archeology and Hidden History"
Editor http://www.drugwar.com
Cont. High Times mag/.com
Cont. Editor http://www.disinfo.com
Columnist New York Waste