[Ibogaine] Daniel Pinchbeck's new book in NY Times

Mystical Pup mysticalpup_dc at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 20 12:50:52 EDT 2006

Funny, I've been reading 2012 this week and enjoying pretty much every word of it.  THANK GODDESS I read this review; I didn't realize what an asshole I am.  I guess I should toss the book out the window.

Oh, wait, maybe the reviewer is the asshole??

I know what I'll do; I'll read the damn book and decide for myself.  Ooooo, I may even do the same thing with movies ... and Broadway shows ... and television.

Thinking and deciding for MYSELF.  Now THERE'S a concept.

Gee, I'll pass that idea around; who knows -- it might actually catch on.

Michael

Eye of the Bhogi <freedomroot at gmail.com> wrote: Good points, Krista, about spreading attention and possible motive in assigning THIS book (Daniel's broken open head) to THIS reviewer (Jarhead Swofford).  It's all well and good to fuel controversy if it leads toward productive debate.  But I read reviews to tell me whether it's worth taking time to read the full text at hand. Not to hear the grinding of axes or wade through the ejaculatory prose of yet another acid-macho pissing contest, nor even be impressed by the BR Editor's cleverness at pitting one Head against another.

 I'm not saying every review should be sympathetic, "chloroformed back patting" in the word-echoes of an historian from an earlier generation.  But it's much fairer, and useful to potential readers, to assess a book on its own terms rather than the book the reviewer would/might have written.  Generally, that requires some familiarity with the subject area.  Maybe 2012 is so bad, and Daniel's pedigree so entrenched in the NYC literati and psychedlic luminaria that even the NYT couldn't find a decent authority on the subject willing to be honest.

 It's this line that irked me the most: "Since when can a guy on mushrooms land a punch? And no one likes a global morality bully who's tripping. Whatever happened to just taking
 drugs?"

 IBOGA is not "drugs."