[Ibogaine] Daniel Pinchbeck's new book in NY Times

Krista Vaughan krista.vaughan at gmail.com
Mon Jun 19 13:43:41 EDT 2006

The NY Times is whatever, I liked the snide reviewer, he was funny. It
is kind of a shame that the counter culture ends up with the punches
meant for Daniel, but I think that's the whole point of Daniel, being
an obnoxious ass is his schtick and how he gets attention and sells
products. I read or tried to read Breaking Open the Head, what he says
is more or less a rehash of Terrence Mckenna with all humor and self
awareness surgically removed.

IMHO Daniel isn't a bad writer, he just doesn't seem to write about
anything he knows, for someone who keeps writing about love,
togetherness and higher states, he sure doesn't look like he even
tries to live his words. His writing on psychedelics does make me want
to go in the opposite direction, whatever direction that happens to
be, so I don't think he's doing anyone much of a service by picking
that subject matter.

OTOH he is getting reviewed in the NY Times and I have to guess many
people will hate the Jarhead author reviewer, which is probably
exactly the reason they had him review Daniel's book. When all's said
and done, everybody got some extra attention ;-)

KV