the whole "re-setting" thing

Sandra Karpetas sandra at ibogatherapyhouse.net
Tue Jun 13 12:34:35 EDT 2006

Hi Martee,

You make a good point, I certainly don't want to instill a fear of
parsley into anyone... That would be cruel and totally anathema to my
love of plants, plant medicines, my belief in our inherent right to use
them for medicinal purposes and for the right to information about their
use.

I'll try to clarify with regards to what I know about portion size/dose,
however the potency of the parsley (often the italian variety with flat
leaves is more potent), how it is eaten/taken and whether you are female
or male, may also need to be taken into consideration. Parsley is safe
to take in almost any quantity/dose by most everyone (as far as I know)
except that pregnant women should be careful with it and women who are
not expecting to bleed should be aware that parsley can cause this.
Fresh parsley in amounts as little (or as much) as 2 cups can cause a
woman's menstrual cycle to begin within a day or 3. Cooked or steeped
parsley (such as in tea) make require just a handful or two to cause
/some/ women to bleed early. This may be different for different women,
as we all metabolize differently and I don't know if eating parsley
regularly can cause a woman's body to become tolerant to this effect?
perhaps...In any case, I'm an occasional fan of parsley myself and don't
mind that it may have these effects, but I appreciate knowing that it
can affect me in certain ways. I think it is a wonderful herb and that
it can be a very healthy addition to the diet. Anyone who is curious to
know more, should look it up or talk to a herbalist.

I also deeply agree with your comment about being in tune to one's needs
and I think it is something we should all strive to develop and achieve
and would like to add that being in tune may also include informing
oneself and each other of the potentials/possibilities regardless of how
or if they may actually effect us or not.

Thanks Martee for encouraging me to clarify ...

Cheers,

Sandra

m. finman <mafinman at optonline.net> wrote:

Sandra,
    I agree it's important to know what results when things are done in
excess(and anything even good stuff can be done in excess)  I feel you
have represented parsley in a way that could instill fear of it in those
that don't have the sense to recognize the signs of cause and effect
from their food or their actions for that matter.  Is putting a whole
head of parsley in a pot of soup too much?  Is juicing a 1/3 of a bunch
with other veggies too much?  Is cutting up a handful in an omlett too
much?  A small amount of parsley(brings to mind the sprig they put on
your plate in restaurants) i believe isn't as therapeutic as stated.
    Ideally one should be in tune with their world to where they
resonate with what they need, how much, how often.  This is a part of
the intuitive response that could work in all areas of life.
     I have read other info you have posted and recognize your talents
and dedication but for some reason this one kind of stirred something in
me. It must be an issue i'm working on that has nothing to do with parsley.
                                                                Thank
you Sandra,

 Martee
 "Sandra Karpetas" <sandra at ibogatherapyhouse.net>