[Ibogaine] Ibogaine fatality paper

ekki ekkijdfg at gmx.de
Tue Jun 6 04:39:17 EDT 2006

Am 04.06.2006 um 22:33 schrieb Nick Sandberg:

> Hi Ekki, Uwe, Suester and others,
>
> I think this post and Uwe and Suester's comments here raise some very
> interesting issues. Personally, I am not convinced that the "Western
> way" of
> giving ibogaine - usually in a darkened room with minimum intrusion -
> really
> works so well, especially longer term. My gut feeling is that the Bwiti
> approach, with its much higher level of social interaction throughout
> the
> session, is potentially a lot better. In the West, I think there is
> this
> core belief in a lot of people that healing is something you do on
> your own
> somewhere, away from the gaze of others, and it's this belief that is
> actually creating the problems people are seeking healing for. Maybe
> sometime someone will try more the African way here and see if results
> longer term are better.
>
> Nick

Hi Nick, good point i agree with you - except for the special case of
opioid withdrawal. i think there is a reason why the bwitis do not take
active junkies for detox within a traditional iboga initiation.

for long-term healing i´d like to say that ibogaine is just a drug, and
one you cannot take too often, meaning it is basically a one-shot
experience and as such it never can be a substitute for "spiritual"
practice on a day-to-day basis.

but it would be nice to have a culture in the west doing ibogain in a
techno-rave context and with a "higher level of social interaction",
but not for detox, just for the sake of doing it, leaving it pretty
open in terms of interpretation, psychologization, religious
implications but still maintaining a "spiritual" vision.

ekki