heard the NPR bit on Dimitri

Dana Beal dana at phantom.com
Sat Dec 2 16:45:20 EST 2006

I just heard the segment on THIS AMERICAN LIFE, and in the middle of
it they make a big deal about the fact one of the patients didn't
disclose that he'd done benzos in the two weeks before his
treatment-- and "could have died," according to the doctor they
called up in Cancun.

My thought was that some one who's taking a ton of methadone plus
benzos has a pretty rugged constitution that can certainly handle an
ibogaine treatment.

I just can't believe the way the risks of taking ibo are so
consistently exxaggerated by any media that picks up on it. Silly
ideas about "balance" I guess. They have to genuflect to the fact
that it's scheduled "I" -- and so must be much more dangerous than
the legal alternatives, even though three thousand people a year die
of methadone--compared to maybe 10 deaths in the entire history of
ibogaine treatments. (And forget about the number who die from the
drugs they're taking ibo to get off of!)

They're holding hallucinogens to a much higher standard than fentanyl
and crack!

Don't  you just hate double standards?

Dana/cnw