speaking to NYC libertarian party and more stuff too

Preston Peet ptpeet at nyc.rr.com
Tue Sep 27 20:09:46 EDT 2005

Hi all,

Jim Lesczynski, Chair of the Manhattan Libertarian Party wrote me to say:

"Thanks very much for agreeing to speak to the Manhattan Libertarian Party.
We're looking forward to it. See you on the 10th (of October).

As our DrugWar.com list subscriber Bob Armstrong noted:

The meetings are conveniently at the , Ukrainian East Village
 Restaurant , 140 Second Avenue . The date is Monday Oct 10 .
 The speaker's start around 7:30 . ( See http://manhattanlp.org/ )

I first suggested speaking about the effects of prohibition upon US young,
then decided that perhaps it might be better to simply tell my own story, to
which Bob replied that perhaps a mixture of both would be good.
Here's the (shameless slef-promotion here, so 'scuse...oh, what am I saying,
this is "shameless" self promotion, so forget the apology) bio/blurb I sent
them:

Blurb:
Preston Peet is a New York City-based writer, editor, musician, actor, and
DJ. Editor of "Under the Influence-the Disinformation Guide to Drugs," and
the upcoming "Underground- the Disinformation Guide to Ancient
Civilizations, Astonishing Archaeology, and Hidden History" (due out in
October, 2005), Preston is a regular contributor to High Times magazine and
website, the editor of the controversial website DrugWar.com and moderator
of the DrugWar.com email list, a columnist for New York City's premier punk
rock newspaper, The New York Waste, and has published in a variety of
publications both in print and on-line, including "Media Bypass"; "Criminal
Justice 03/04"; "09/11 8:48AM-Documenting America's Greatest Disaster"; and
"Alternet." Besides publishing over 60 articles at the popular
Disinformation website, most on some aspect of the War on Some Drugs and
Users (www.disinfo.com), he has articles in The Disinformation Company's
anthologies, "You Are Being Lied To," "Everything You Know Is Wrong," and
the upcoming "Everything You Know About Sex is Wrong." He lives in Manhattan
with Vanessa (his other half) and nine rescued cats, and has been known to
smoke the occasional joint or three. "It's time to end the War on Some Drugs
and Users."

I hope some of you can make it to the presentation.

Also, the date is lonot yet set but it will happen- there will be a reading
event at the NY Sex Museum here in Manhattan, a book release party for Russ
Kick's new book Everything You Know About Sex is Wrong, in which I have two
articles, one called "Sex...and Drugs," a drier m more a journalik-stu[e
sptulwjop te p and the other is called "Close Contact," a first person story
about what some people do to earn the bread they need to get straight when
strung out and living on the streets of this or that big city (in this case,
Manhattan, 1994). I'll be reading, and I have no idea at this time what
other contributors will be there to take part in the celebration, but I'm
sure a good time will be had by all.

Also, I'm planning my own shindig/reading event sometime between November 20
and November 23, as those are the dates when Graham Hancock will be in town.
He is planning on giving a 5 to 10 minutes slide presentation and discussion
about his two contributions to "Underground- the Disinformation Guide to
Ancient Civilizations, Astonishing Archaeology and Hidden History," due for
rlease in late October 2005. I am unsure which other contributors may attend
and take part, but the fact that I may very well be doing a presentation
with Graham Hancock makes me more thrilled than I can aptly describe to you
all here on these lists. Still, I can try- Hancock, to me, rocks, and I have
found much inspiration and such in reading his works, and by carrrying on
email correspondendes between us (He really liked UTI, and funny enough, my
favorite writer on the topic of lost civilizations, Hancock, when I first
contacted him, told me that he may have to turn in his contributions a
little later than the date I was seeking, due to his currently working on
his newest project- Supernatural- and it's about drugs and the origins of
religion. Oddly enough, my first book published was about drugs, and my
second project was, and has been, about lost civilizations. My favorite
write about lost civilizations is or was rather, writing a book about drugs
and religion. Semed somehow like synchronicity or something. Anyway, that's
something else I'll keep you all updated on.
    Have a great evening, and I hope to see at least some of you at the High
Times Stony Awards tomorrow night, at club Life, right downstairs from Alex
Gray's Chapel of Sacred Mirrors. How cool is that? LOL!
    Anyway, have a gerat night all.

Peace and love,
Preston Peet

mistaken for madness"