[Ibogaine] masks and void

Nick Sandberg nick227 at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Sep 27 07:13:52 EDT 2005

Hi Ekki,

Yes, this sounds about right. Though what constitutes "conscious" is a grey
area, I'd say. Classically, repression is mediated by the limbic area of the
brain which is really on the border of conscious/unconscious. In a state of
heightened awareness you may catch yourself "switching off", other times it
just happens.

 when you use drugs to avoid feelings and you
> know about it then it is a very conscious way of avoidance and thus not
> repression.

Yes, if you are in physical or emotional pain and you use heroin to make it
stop then I would say that is certainly a consciously mediated act of
repression.

However, what you wrote was that you didn't use heroin for repression and
that you used it because you thought it was cool. I said this sounds like
repression to me, and nothing you've put down here seems to change that.

 if it is repression on the other hand it is by definition
> something you do not know. some therapists like to trap their patients
> in a classic catch-22: either you confirm you have repressed material
> or you deny and that is even more the prove for repression =)

Well, yes, it's their job to try and get you to look at yourself. However,
therapy isn't mandatory in society. If you feel totally happy in life then I
doubt you'd go see a therapist. If you call in a plumber, it because you
want to know what's going on with your pipes. If you call in a therapist,
it's because you want to know what's going on in your unconscious.

My experience is that everyone has repressed material. It's in the nature of
being human. I never met anyone who I thought didn't. Mostly I think it's
quite exciting to find out what's going on inside really. Why not surrender
to the therapists and see what happens? Just for the experience. After all,
if you have no repressed material, what is there to fear?

Nick