[Ibogaine] Bam indications re Katrina - opium with help from friends

Matthew Shriver matt at itsupport.net
Fri Sep 23 09:05:59 EDT 2005

An interesting related note is that to date, the biggest (regional) NA
conventions in the world have been in Iran.  In the past few years NA has
taken hold in Iran and, interestingly, received a lot of support from the
government.  There are regional NA conventions annually in most places.  The
region where I live for example stretches from Chihuahua Mexico to southern
Colorado and we have attendees from both the US and Mexico and from many
surrounding states at our conventions.  Our last convention attracted
something like 900 people.  But the region where I live is large and not
terribly populous.  California regions which tend to be smaller but more
populous can have a couple thousand people at their conventions.  The World
convention of NA which is held once every two years generally attracts
around 20,000 attendees.  Iran which was just recently introduced to NA had
a convention which attracted more than 10,000 people.  This is completely
unheard of anywhere else in the world right now.  But I think this might
point to a prevalence of drug use that is probably similar unparalleled.

Matt

  _____