[Ibogaine] Epilepsy drug may block cocaine addiction

Boris Leshinsky bleshins at bigpond.net.au
Thu Oct 27 21:09:29 EDT 2005

Mandy (my partner) is currently taking Vigabatrin (Sabril/Sabrilex) for cravings. She's been taking it for about 5 weeks. She's not having problems with cravings at the moment. Occassionally some come up, but then go away. Previously to 5 months ago once cravings started they did not go away until she used, which was about once a month. I think the first breakthrough came when she started taking amino acids, (dosages as recommended in the book "end your addiction now").  She was ok for 2 months, longer than ever before, than strong cravings were triggered after seeing an old friend who decided to tell all about how much fun he was having using morphine. She used once after that, about 2 weeks later.
That was about 2 and a half months ago. She is not having problems with cravings. I can't say how much of that is due solely to the Vigabtrin, because she was already improving before that. She's also made other changes in her life, doing exercise and eating better and not seeing old using friends.. but she made these changes earlier too and that did not help much when the cravings came. One other thing that helped - she had some hypnosis sessions about 2 months ago. The hypnosis did not make her cravings go away, but it seemed to break the needle fixation. ie, when she got a craving for a drug (heroin,  speed or cocaine) there was not the associated imagery of using a fit, no actual cravings for the experience of the needle, which made it easier for her to deal with it. Also her resolve to not use has grown over time and she has distanced herself from everything associated with that part of her life over the last few months, determined to move on.

At this stage I would say the Vigabatrin has helped. But in has been in conjunction with a bunch of other things - amino acid therapy and hypnosis at the sharp end (pun intended) and life-style changes, determination and support from family and friends in the longer term.

If anyone would like to know where to get Vigabatrin or about anything else I've mentioned feel free to ask. You can safely and legally purchase Vigabatrin on the internet, as I don't think many doctors would prescribe it.
I think these are the people doing the Vigabatrin studies:
http://www.bnl.gov/CTN/GVG/
Here's a PDF of the trial the posted articles talk about:
http://www.catalystpharma.com/1st%20Trial.pdf
(We derived dosages and time-lines from this or similar document)
The studies also say the drug should be effective for other addictions too, not just cocaine. I think they've tried it with meth addicts also, and mentioned they think it should work for heroin.

Oh yeah, one more thing. The most effective way to break a really strong cravings we've found is with GHB or 14B. Emergency use only, though.

cheers
Boris