[Ibogaine] Fw: [DrugWar] Canada: Is Free Heroin Just a Quick Fix?

thethird at myway.com thethird at myway.com
Mon Jan 31 12:32:53 EST 2005

 I have been really excited about hearing more about these trials in Canada. It will be interesting to see how it all turns out.  After I read the whole article at the bottom of the email I remembered reading about one woman who had tried rehabs many times, along with group meetings, Methadone M.T., and anything else that could possibly help stop her from using and nothing worked. I'm not sure where she lived but somehow she got involved in a heroin maintenance program and after she had been on it for awhile she talked about how for the first time in her life she had her own apartment, a job, and money in her pocket. She cried about how she wished this could have happened to her sooner (I think she was around 50) so that she could have had more of a life, instead of always being broke and dodging the cops.  In my opinion, heroin maintenance makes more sense. I know that methadone lasts longer, but from experience, I could see how people would still crave heroin while on it. To a lot of people, (most folks in the U.S.) giving heroin to an addict is just another way to keep them down and encourage them to keep using. They just don't realize or care that some people are going to keep using no matter what, and that heroin maintenance would allow them to have lives that are as productive and fulfilling as possible.  I say this because I think almost everyone has a 'job' in life. I don't mean a 9 - 5 job, but something that is their passion in life, whether it's writing, or music, or science. Whatever it is, it can get lost when you are on the streets using all your time and energy to stay well. When these people get on the maintenance program, then maybe they will remember or discover what it is that makes their life worthwhile and start doing it again This happened to me with Ibogaine. I remembered all these things that used to inspire me. During my Ibogaine trip the first thing I saw was Einstein, and I couldn't believe how I had forgotten how much I used to love to learn about physics and how curious I always was, and then all these other things came flooding back to me, like the piano, and going back to school. And now I am starting to do these things again, (I just got a kick ass keyboard with weighted keys and a full range of octaves!!! And I'm going back to school in the summer.Woohoo!!!) It makes such a difference to have all that time and energy back, and I know so fu*%ing many people that would benefit from heroin maintenance for exactly that reason, so I am really interested to see the results of the trial.  If it works out I hope they change their mind about stopping the treatment in a year. It would suck to see how great your life could be and then have it ripped away. It will also be interesting to see how the U.S. reacts to the results, especially if they are positive, because I can't imagine Washington saying, "hey, that worked out great, lets give it a try."Laura --- On Mon 01/31, Preston Peet < ptpeet at nyc.rr.com > wrote:From: Preston Peet [mailto: ptpeet at nyc.rr.com]To: ibogaine at mindvox.comDate: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 09:45:52 -0500Subject: [Ibogaine] Fw: [DrugWar] Canada: Is Free Heroin Just a Quick Fix?snip from the article below:>"Sometimes you need something just to relax and get your mind together,instead of always being in a state of panic. That's what's killing everyonedown here," she said, pointing to the throngs of bedraggled souls shufflingalong East Hastings Street. Like Ms. Woelke, they must hit the pavementevery day to raise enough cash for their drugs. Most steal. Many women workas prostitutes."They have to do things they wouldn't normally do."This is exactly what some of Canada's top addiction experts want to findout when they begin the first heroin prescription trial in North America.If heroin addicts are freed of their daily chase for drugs, if it is givento them three times a day like medicine, can they change their lives forthe better?<This woman has it nailed with her comment about the panic being what's killinng all her addict frieds and acquaintances on the streets.There's more bel
 ow. Too awesome. This is what we should be doing, ALONG with offering addicts ibogaine and methadone and whatever else it may take to get them to a point where THEY, the ADDICTS- not Nick, or the Court, or Preston Peet, or the police and judges, or Bill W., or the Bwiti, or whomever it is- feel they are most happy. Not "they're a drag," not they just be integrated into society along with everyone else, not they must be forced into participating in life, none of that is a good criteria for action or even worthy goals IN MY OPINION. The main goals in my mind are to enable each and every person to live happily as possible to the extent they are not hurting others while making themselves happy, to reduce as many possible harms to the addict and the rest of society too without forcing anyone into anything against their will.I'm pretty sure that the authorities involved in this effort will notice a drop in crime on the part of the participant, and even probably a climb in things like employemnnt and other markers like this.Peace and love,Preston Peet"Madness is not enlightenment, but the search for enlightenment is often mistaken for madness"Richard Davenport-Hinesptpeet at nyc.rr.comEditor http://www.drugwar.comEditor "Under the Influence- the Disinformation Guide to Drugs"Editor "Mysterious Roots- The Disinformation Guide to Ancient Civilizations, Explorations and Enigmas" (due out Sept. 2005)Cont. High Times mag/.comCont. Editor http://www.disinfo.comColumnist New York WasteEtc.----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard Lake" To: Sent: Monday, January 31, 2005 8:20 AMSubject: [DrugWar] Canada: Is Free Heroin Just a Quick Fix?> Newshawk: CMAP http://www.mapinc.org/cmap> Pubdate: Mon, 31 Jan 2005> Source: Globe and Mail (Canada)> Page: A1 - Front Page> Copyright: 2005, The Globe and Mail Company> Contact: letters at globeandmail.ca> Website: http://www.globeandmail.ca/> Details: http://www.mapinc.org/media/168> Author: Jane Armstrong> Cited: Centre for Addiction and Mental Health http://www.camh.net/> Cited: Canadian Institutes of Health Research http://www.cihr-irsc.gc.ca/> Bookmark: http://www.mapinc.org/heroin.htm (Heroin)> Bookmark: http://www.mapinc.org/find?136 (Methadone)> Bookmark: http://www.mapinc.org/topics/Downtown+Eastside>> IS FREE HEROIN JUST A QUICK FIX?>> VANCOUVER -- On a warm, rainy Saturday morning, Debbie Woelke stops > pushing her shopping cart long enough to discuss the pros and cons of a > plan to give free heroin to drug addicts in Canada's poorest > neighbourhood.>> The heroin trial is all the talk of Vancouver's Downtown Eastside and Ms. > Woelke, 48, thinks it's a good idea. She might even apply, herself. "They > should have done this a long time ago," she said leaning on her cart, > which contains all her worldly belongings -- not groceries.>> Like other addicts, Ms. Woelke lives in a bleak rented room in a > residential hotel. Far better to be outside in the rain, even if it means > wheeling around your clothes all day.>> "Sometimes you need something just to relax and get your mind together, > instead of always being in a state of panic. That's what's killing > everyone down here," she said, pointing to the throngs of bedraggled souls > shuffling along East Hastings Street. Like Ms. Woelke, they must hit the > pavement every day to raise enough cash for their drugs. Most steal. Many > women work as prostitutes.>> "They have to do things they wouldn't normally do.">> This is exactly what some of Canada's top addiction experts want to find > out when they begin the first heroin prescription trial in North America.>> If heroin addicts are freed of their daily chase for drugs, if it is given > to them three times a day like medicine, can they change their lives for > the better?>> In a couple of weeks, the research team will begin taking applications > here in Vancouver and later in Toronto and Montreal from addicts who want > to be part of the study.>&
 gt; Researchers are looking for hard-core addicts, people who have tried and > failed at least twice to get clean. In the three cities, there are spots > for 428 addicts, roughly half of whom will receive heroin for a year; the > other half will receive methadone, an artificial opiate that controls the > cravings for heroin.>> In Vancouver, the trials are causing a stir on the syringe-littered > streets of the city's skid row, home to more than 4,000 drug users. Among > those who deal first hand with these chaotic lives, there's a feeling that > Canada is breaking new ground in how it treats the most intractable of > drug addictions.>> Similar studies in the Netherlands and Switzerland have shown positive > results for addicts.>> "What if you could say to an addict, 'For the next little while, you're > not going to have to get your drugs from Al Capone. You can get your drugs > from Marcus Welby,' " said Dr. Martin Schechter, the project's lead > researcher.>> "You don't have to worry about this afternoon and this evening. And > therefore, you don't have to go and break in to cars or be a prostitute. > You could actually come and talk to a counsellor or . . . get some skills > training.">> It's a landmark study in North America, one that turns its back on > abstinence as the goal.>> But not everyone is thrilled with the prospect of free heroin for > hard-core addicts. And even supporters have expressed concern about the > ethics of offering heroin to addicts for a prescribed period of time. Is > it fair to yank away their heroin at the end of the year?>> Addiction experts in Canada have already expressed concerns about the risk > of overdoses.>> Last December, two staff physicians at Toronto's Centre for Addiction and > Mental Health wrote scathing critiques to the ethics adviser of the > Canadian Institutes of Health Research, the agency funding the study.>> Vancouver physician Stanley deVlaming is worried the trials are designed > to garner positive results. In Vancouver, 88 subjects are to receive > heroin, while 70 will receive methadone, the heroin substitute.>> "How meaningful will it be to compare the group of 88 elated subjects that > win the heroin lottery to the group of 70 who were also desperately trying > to get the free heroin, but lost the luck of the draw?" asked Dr. > deVlaming, who has treated addicts in the Downtown Eastside for more than > a dozen years.>> "The first group would likely be very motivated to give the researchers > positive results, while the second disappointed and disgruntled group > randomized to methadone would be much less motivated.">> As expected, the plan has rankled U.S. drug officials, specifically the > office of White House drug czar John Walters, where an official called it > an unethical and "inhumane medical experiment.">> Offering free heroin to addicts when there are proven treatments for > addiction can't be justified if the addict's desire is to get off drugs, > policy analyst David Murray said.>> "What you're doing is making it easier to be a heroin addict," he said > from Washington. "These people won't get that much better in the long run. > They will still be heroin addicts.">> Washington's disapproval was expected and hasn't deterred Ottawa from > funding the study. The Canadian Institutes of Health Research has > committed $8.1-million for the trials.>> In Vancouver, the plan has the support of top politicians and law > enforcers, including the mayor and the police chief.>> Mayor Larry Campbell, who was once a coroner and drug cop, said the trials > are needed because current treatments aren't working for hard-core > addicts.>> "The critical thing is to accept this as a medical condition," Mr. > Campbell said.>> "The side effects of this medical condition is that it forces you to . . . > do things that you would never do, b
 e it work as a sex-trade worker, be a > B and E [break-and-enter] artist or a purse snatcher. So if I can mitigate > that by putting you on heroin, imagine the changes you could have.">> Right now, the trial is waiting for Health Canada to grant the necessary > exemption form the Canadian Narcotics Act.>> Ms. Woelke said she plans to tell her friends to apply. She would be > content to get on the methadone program.>> "Methadone, whatever," she said shrugging her shoulders. "I need something > every day.">> <]=-----------------------------------------------------------------------=[>> [ Moderated by: Preston Peet | > .drugwar.com ]> | -=/[ To Subscribe: drugwar-subscribe at mindvox.com ]/=- > |> | To Unsubscribe: drugwar-unsubscribe at mindvox.com > |> [ DrugWar List in Digest Format: > ugwar-digest-subscribe at mindvox.com ]> <]=-----------------------------------------------------------------------=[>>> /]=---------------------------------------------------------------------=[[%] Ibogaine List Commands: http://ibogaine.mindvox.com/IbogaineList.html [%]]=---------------------------------------------------------------------=[/