[Ibogaine] ibogaine and scary fascism

Preston Peet ptpeet at nyc.rr.com
Thu Jan 27 14:52:39 EST 2005

Ken wrote >I admit that I do get a wee frustrated with the closed minded. I
went
through the recent '3 month war on drugs' in Thailand where 2300 drug users
were systematically rounded up and shot.<

Below is what I published on this topic in Under the Influence- the
Disinformation Guide to Drugs, an updated and revised reprint of a couple of
articles originally published in High Times.
Attached are the photos that were published alongside this article.
While the US wosdu sucks and prison here is no joke whatsoever, Thailand
really, really sucks when it comes to the whole wosdu thing.

[TITLE] Who Takes Responsibility for Thailand's Bloody Drug War 'Victory'?

[BYLINE] By Preston Peet
(published in Under the Influence- the Disinformation Guide to Drugs,
October 2004- The Disinformation Company, NY.)
photos by Mathew McDaniel

-----

Editor's note- American ex-patriot and human rights campaigner Matthew
McDaniel, quoted in the following article, was arrested by Thai immigration
officials at the Mae Sai immigration office when he went to renew his visa
on April 15, 2004. As this book goes to press, McDaniel has been thrown out
of the country and is now living in the US. What will happen to his pregnant
Akha wife and four children, still at home in their remote village in Chiang
Rai province, is still unsure, but what is known is that the Thai government
and its military and police do not like nor want interference from pesky,
outspoken foreigners who publicize the atrocities they are committing
against certain segments of their society. McDaniel has been particularly
derisive of the Thai government's War on Some Drugs and Users, as is
apparent from his comments which follow.

-----

[ILLUS. Akha Murder 2- "Akha man Leeh Huuh, murdered after police called him
to the police station. He never made it."]

Thailand's Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra inexplicably declared a victory
in Thailand's recent all out War on Drugs campaign, on December 3, 2003
(simultaneously declaring a new War on Poverty), but there are still drugs,
traffickers and users all over the country, despite the bodies of thousands
of now-dead druggies, dealers and smugglers strewn throughout Thailand's
cities and villages.

[PULL QUOTE- There are still drugs, traffickers and users all over the
country, despite the bodies of thousands of now-dead druggies, dealers and
smugglers strewn throughout Thailand's cities and villages.]

The first three months of the campaign, launched by Prime Minister Thaksin
on February 1, 2003, became a murder spree, with police committing thousands
of what many human rights organizations are calling "extra-judicial
 killings" of suspected drug dealers and addicts. Police and government
officials counter that most of the more than 2500 known killings, 1500 in
the first five weeks alone, were carried out by other drug dealers turning
on one another in gang warfare or while trying to silence potential
snitches, or by police acting in self-defense. Police officials claim that
only 46 of the slayings were carried out by fellow officers. The slain
include elderly people and children, some as young as sixteen months
according to a recent report from Amnesty International titled "Thailand:
Widespread abuses in the administration of justice."

There's no denying that widespread drug trafficking and sky-high addiction
rates are a problem in Thailand. Over the last ten years, there has been a
huge increase in the smuggling of methamphetamine pills, called ''ya ba'' by
locals, becoming even more prevalent than the region's traditionally
smuggled opium. Made extremely cheaply in neighboring Myanmar factories, the
pills are then smuggled across Thailand's border. With the fifteen prisons
across the country designed to hold just 90,000 currently overflowing with
over 173,900 inmates, killing suspects rather than arresting and trying them
in court would of course keep the prison population from further swelling.
There were, as of May 31, 2002, a total 106,256 people in Thai prisons for
drug offenses (77,970 men and 28,286 women), a whoping 66.46% of the total
prison population, according to the Thailand Corrections Department website.

[PULL QUOTE- The police shooting to death drug dealers and users in the
streets was probably not what Amnesty International had in mind for
reforms.]

The human rights organization Amnesty International has for years voiced
concerns with "the long-term problems of torture and ill-treatment, and by
prison conditions amounting to cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment in
Thailand." But the police shooting to death drug dealers and users in the
streets was probably not what Amnesty International had in mind for reforms.

"The drug war was a smashing of people, targeting the local boys mostly,
kids, the police informers, the mules the police used to make their job look
good, people the police did not like," said Matthew McDaniel, founder and
director of the Akha Heritage Foundation in Thailand, (www.akha.org). "It
was just violence without due process. Many people were murdered, many
clearly with no drug connection." Living and working with the Akha hill
tribe people for over twelve years, US ex-patriot McDaniel has seen
firsthand the results of both drug addiction and the violent repression of
the poverty-stricken Akha people by police and military forces. He concedes
that one result of the latest campaign has been "less drug activity" but
that "there never was any effort to work with the villages which would have
worked as well, besides just killing everyone. In addition the economic
situation is now worse, as drugs bridged the gap for farm land taken from
the Akha, and now there is neither farm land or a drug economy" for the
struggling Akha. McDaniel points out that Thailand's government waged their
anti-drug campaign with support from the US, the DEA having an office there.
The US takes part in joint military anti-drug training operations every year
with Thai forces called Cobra Gold. The US supplies the Thai military
equipment as well as training, and US Special Forces has a small contingent
of "advisors" working with Thai anti-drug forces.

Although Prime Minister Thaksin's stated reason for declaring the War was to
bring about a drug-free Thailand by Dec. 5, 2003, as a birthday present for
Thailand's King Bhumibol Adulyadej, McDaniel doesn't believe that is the
real reason for this bloody campaign. "It's all War on Drugs but no emphasis
on human rights. The prison population of the hill tribes is very high. Many
people know this is just ethnic cleansing. But the police are not included,
nor businessmen and government people. None of them were killed." Hill tribe
people in Thailand number just under one million, including the Akha, Lahu,
Yao, Lisu, and Karen groups. They do not have citizenship, and according to
Amnesty International "face discrimination with regard to education, health
care, and other basic rights. At the same time they are exploited as a
tourist attraction while often being accused by the authorities and others
of destroying the environment and using opium and other illegal drugs."

[PULL QUOTE- "The US absolutely supported this. The killings with US-made
equipment are in violation of the Leahy Amendment."]

"I think the big operators wanted a consolidation," says McDaniel. "It also
improved the control structure of the police and government, which is all
central. Thai people tell me that because of the drug war killings they are
now afraid to say anything at all about anything. So that was a success, now
wasn't it. The US absolutely supported this. The killings with US-made
equipment are in violation of the Leahy Amendment." The Leahy Amendment,
first passed as part of the US Foreign Operations Appropriations Act in
1997, prohibits US military assistance to foreign military units that
violate human rights with impunity, which aptly describes what has happened
in Thailand.

Human rights workers and activists are not alone condemning the Thai
anti-drug campaign. King Adulyadej himself stated in a 76th birthday speech
that "The government reported about 2,500 people were killed. Some say more
than 10,000 died. There must be some who were killed that we don't know
about. In this country, who is going to take responsibility?" the king
asked. "In the end, the prime minister must take responsibility."

[SUBHEAD] Postscript: Despite "Victory" Yet Another War on Some Drugs and
Users Declared in Thailand

Thailand's Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra declared yet another "new" War
on Some Drugs and Users on Feb. 27, 2004, after declaring victory less than
two months previously. Last year's 10 month "war on drugs," declared over
December 3, 2003, left at least 2500, and possibly many more alleged
druggies dead at police hands but did nothing to stop the flow of illegal
drugs.

"Critics only focus on the death toll of bad people, rather than those
officials who lost their lives for the public and the country. The
criticisms are quite imbalanced," said Thaksin in response to the US
government's annual Country Reports on Human Rights Practices 2003 (released
Feb. 25, 2004), which decried the Thai government's violent anti-drug
campaign. But official Thai figures put the number of police and military
troops killed during the campaign at approximately 31, compared to the
thousands of suspects killed in the streets by police and military forces.
The US report described official blacklists of suspected drug criminals,
from which police were expected to cull a "prescribed percentage," or they'd
be fired. "The [Thai] Government threatened retaliation against local
officials who did not produce results," notes the US report.

[ILLUS. Akha Murder 1- "Loh Pah (looking to his left) and Leeh Huuh (looking
to his right) were both murder after Phrao police of Chiangmai Province of
Thailand called them both in for questioning. They never made it to the
station."]

"It's unacceptable to me the way the US came out with the report by citing
media reports. What kind of friend are they?" said Thaksin, quoted in
Thailand's Nation on Feb. 28. Considering previous and current US support of
any and all anti-drug efforts around the world, one might understand Thaksin's
frustration. "There were no human-rights violations during the 'war on
drugs,'" said Rasamee Vistaveth, the deputy secretary general of Thailand's
Narcotics Control Board, two days after Thaksin announced the resumption of
the war.

"This operation is re-launched not because drugs are rampant again, but it
is launched when enemies are retreating," said Thaksin when declaring the
new campaign. "We must reinforce our attacks before they can recover and I
am confident we will be able to contain them." A cynic might be forgiven for
doubting this new War on Some Drugs and Users will be any more effective at
ending drug use or abuse than the last.

-----

Peace and love,
Preston Peet

mistaken for madness"
Richard Davenport-Hines

ptpeet at nyc.rr.com
Editor http://www.drugwar.com
Editor "Mysterious Roots- The Disinformation Guide to Ancient Civilizations,
Explorations and Enigmas" (due out Sept. 2005)
Cont. High Times mag/.com
Cont. Editor http://www.disinfo.com
Columnist New York Waste
Etc.