[Ibogaine] 5-HTP

jon jfreed1 at umbc.edu
Thu Jan 27 19:59:34 EST 2005

l-tryptophan is a better choice if you can get hold of it, as 5-htp
doesn't cross the brain barrier as readily. that isn't to say 5-htp is
useless necessarily, but tryptophan is certainly more effective.

unfortuntely in the US, there was a bad batch that came in a couple
decades ago, i forget exactly what it was contaminated with, but
somethinng that led to eosinophilia-myalgia syndrome, an auto-immune
disorder, that affected a number of people exposed to it. being its
typical logicl self (note sarcasm) the US govt banned the sale of pure
tryptophan supplements, and of course didn't reverse the ban when it came
out that it wasn't the tryptophan itself that caused the problems. you
can, however, still buy tryptophan legally in the US in amino acid complex
supplements (ones that have multiple amino acids), and in bulk.

> 5htp is good but I've been told that tit takes a couple of weeks to have
> an effect  like most anti-depressants...
> My understanding is that 5 htp is a precursor to serotonin, but only if
> you are eating right and getting the right nutrients and such...
> Another to try out maybe is L-Tryptophan...(5htp is 5 hydroxytryptophan)
> my local nutritionist informed me that this is a more direct precursor to
> serotonin and I did  notice a significant difference after taking this one
> with a nice regiment of vitamins and minerals and such. I take 500mg with
> meals, 2-3 times a day... If it makes you sleepy you can take 2 x 100mg at
> bedtime.
> I've taken 5htp before and noticed(maybe?) a difference, but I recently
> came off of effexor (a SNRI) while taking the l-tryptophan, and I haven't
> felt clearer in a while... A nice change after being on anti-depressants
> for the last 2 years.
> thats my 2 cents
>

>   >From: "Kirsty Sutherland"  >Reply-To: ibogaine at mindvox.com >To:
> >Subject: RE: [Ibogaine]  5-HTP
>>Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 11:23:58 +130>
>   >Thank you for that
..and it would be nice for you if you could find out
> >about taking both
perhaps ask the doc?  We have different names for
. > >Kirk > > > >    _____ > >From: thethird at myway.com