HSS violates first amendment

Vector Vector vector620022002 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 26 13:34:12 EST 2005

I forgot who posted all the HSS stock mail to the list this month, I
think it was Brett? (sorry if it isn't). The center for cognitive
liberties, is filing suits to stop the use of HSS as a violation of
freedom of thought and the first amendment.

Besides the potential use of HSS as a weapon, It looks like they feel
the same way as Dave Hunter did about the idea of advertising being
beamed into his head.

.:vector:.

http://www.cognitiveliberty.org/issues/first_amend_index.html

FREEDOM OF THOUGHT & THE FIRST AMENDMENT

The United States Supreme Court has recognized:

"Freedom of thought... is the matrix, the indispensable condition, of
nearly every other form of freedom. With rare aberrations a pervasive
recognition of this truth can be traced in our history, political and
legal" (Palko v. Connecticut (1937) 302 U.S. 319, 326-27.)

Without freedom of thought, the First Amendment right to freedom of
speech is moot, because you can only express what you can think.
Constraining or censoring how a person thinks (cognitive censorship) is
the most fundamental kind of censorship, and is contrary to some of our
most cherished constitutional principles.

In 2003, the CCLE filed  a legal brief on the relationship between
Freedom of Speech, Freedom of Thought, and psychotropic drugs in the
United States Supreme Court. We are now examining other aspects of the
First Amendment that protect freedom of thought. Scientists, for
example, are discovering that nearly everyone engages in what they are
terming "internal speech." We use language to navigate within our own
thoughts. The CCLE is examining whether the freedom of speech protects
"internal speech." (We think it does, and we're working to prove it).

In addition, while most people are capable of shutting their eyes and
thereby blocking out external images, it is not so easy to shut one's
ears. New technology like Hypersonic Sound -- which transmits a beam of
sound that is silent until you walk into it -- is raising the question
of what rights people have to internal auditory integrity. If the First
Amendment blocks the government from putting words in a person's mouth,
does it also block the government from putting words in a person's
head? (We think it does, and we're working to prove it).