Patrick you're in another book

Vector Vector vector620022002 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 21 20:54:03 EST 2005

Patrick, from my college bookstore :)

Hip: The History
by John Leland

Your quotes open one of his sections, you've got 9 or 10 pages, you,
Legion of Doom, secret service, how it connects to the Yippies, ending
with you in Florida, heroin addiction and ibogaine.

Another fine job of tying it all together :)

Congrats, in his closing White Niggers, he's got you with Dylan, Mark
Twain and compares you to modern day Jesse James :) Love you Patrick,
but I'm not typing in all those pages, I'm sure he sent you a copy
anyway.

You're a beautiful psycho :)

I'll type one sentence for you :) Give me email already!

"The hip antihero gathers no moss. We think of Dylan, Huck or Sal, or
Jesse James, or Lord Digital, as traveling through a world with no
baggage. Reinventing themselves on the road."

"What is missing from this story is what the travelers bring back to us
when they arrive. Along with their own unique epiphanies, the road
warriors also transport ideas and knowledge from one place to another.
Their adventures, in turn, seduce other travelers into motion."

.:vector:.

The proper way to read this book is of course, from the back. Checking
to see if your name is in the index. If it's not in there (and let's
face it, what are the chances?) my apologies. For some reason your hang
time at the Six Gallery, or Northsix in Williamsburg, your matted coif
and ironic eyeglasses, your collection of final vinyl and Burroughs
first-editions, has escaped everyone's notice but your own. Probably
the hip guy you knew in high school, or wish you were, or the ghost you
passed at the needle exchange, didn't make it into this book either.
Hip is an elusive thing and sometimes must be its own reward.

If you are in the index, another sort of apology is in order. This is
not a conventional history, faithfully reporting the experiences of
people who lived it. Instead, it is a history of public perception,
which by its nature is sometimes awry. Its distortions are part of what
makes hip.

If you think of Thelonious Monk or Miles Davis onstage, or Rakim
writing rhymes in Long Island, Jay Z in the Bronx, you might think they
are thinking very hip thoughts, but it is their imagination and the
actions that people who are seduced by it take, that form hip's course.
Hip is romanticism, not a catalog of facts.

Hip is about people who cause waves that ripple through the big pond,
it is not a suggestion to follow in their footsteps and become the next
Neal Cassady, freezing to death in a ditch in Mexico after a
methamphetmine induced heart attack. Yet Neal Cassady, along with Jim
Carroll and Bob Dylan, will always belong in hip's cannon.

In truth far too many of the celebrated figures in these pages led
melancholy and difficult lives of isolation, mental illness and drug
addiction. Interesting and romantic to read about, but very tough on
those who live them.

In the words of Ice-T, don't hate the player, hate the game. As the
saying goes those who can, do. Those who can't, purchased this book.

This book takes the reader on a remarkable journey from 17th century
plantations to 21st century Williamsburg, Brooklyn. On route, we meet
America's greatest hipsters- people who used language and manipulated
the forces around them to transform society, from Mark Twain to
Muhammed Ali, from Charlie Parker to Richard Hell. Leland draws a
family tree linking the most influential cultural movements across
generations, detailing not only how the unique American experience
begat our cultural icons, but how, in turn, those enlightened
individuals have shaped the world around them, our world.

"Hip: A History" is sufficiently thorough and analytical to read like a
textbook of American cultural history. But its much more than that.
Leland's narratives put us right in the middle of some of the most
provocative scenes: minstrel shows, the beats, bebops, early hip-hop
and grafetti art, to name a few. You may not always agree with Leland
about what is hip; that's part of the fun. But get on board for this
trip across the racial, ethnic, geographic, economic and cultural
divide that has brought us together and torn us apart over the last 350
years and catch a glimpse of the artists who had their fingers on the
pulse of their America. Its quite a ride.