FWD fungal intelligence

HSLotsof at aol.com HSLotsof at aol.com
Wed Jan 12 16:23:02 EST 2005

ORIGINAL TEXT FOLLOWS:

Paul Stamets, one of the best known mushroom enthousiasts in the world,

is serious when he talks about the intelligence of mycelial networks. In

his view the fungal world consists of zillions of mycelial mats which

are in instant contact with eachother and exchange information much like

the internet works. In this way each mycelial cell of every network

'knows' where the it is needed to convert dead biomass (or petrochemical

pollution!) into compost.

The idea about fungal intelligence sounds pretty off the wall at first,

also to me, but I have to say that the following RealAudio program of

ABC Australia explains a lot. There is a mechanism which can explain it:

the  small world phenomenon. No matter how large and interconnected a

network is, necessary information never needs to be more than a few

nodes/fungal cells away. Mycelial mats literally can 'know' about all

the places on this planet where they can convert waste into compost!

The program does not mention mycelia even once but listen to it. Or read

the transcript. It explains a lot!

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/science/ss/default.htm

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/science/ss/stories/s1266953.htm

transcript:

The New Science of Networks

Saturday 8 January  2005

Summary

Q: What do Hollywood actor Kevin Bacon, a North American firefly, Al

Qaeda and the World Wide Web all have in common?

A: Each of them organise themselves in a network.

Annamaria Talas wrote and produced this Science Show special on the new

science of networks; the connectedness of nearly everything, which began

with Duncan Watts, an Australian PhD student from Cornell University,

and is set to change our understanding of the world.

Program Transcript

Robyn Williams: What do Hollywood actor Kevin Bacon, a North American

firefly, Al Qaeda and the World Wide Web have in common? Not much you

might think but in fact they’ve all played a big role in helping us make

one of the first really big new discoveries in science. Each of them

organise themselves in a network. There’s a mechanism by which actors,

insects, terrorists and web pages link together and make connections. We

used to think these links were more or less random but in the past few

years scientists studying networks have discovered an astonishing thing;

nature it seems has a hidden language and for the first time we’re able

to read it.

It’s a discovery that some are saying may prove to be as important as

Newton’s observations of gravity and Darwin’s theory of evolution. The

new science of networks is set to change our understanding of the world.

It all began with bugs and is so new there isn’t even a scientific word

for it – yet. This Science Show special is written and produced by

Annamaria Talas and presented by Simon Nasht.

President Bill Clinton: Today we are learning the language in which God

created life. We’re gaining ever more awe for the complexity, the

beauty, the wonder of God’s most divine and sacred gift.

Simon Nasht: Former US president, Bill Clinton, announcing the decoding

of the human genome, at a White House ceremony in 1999. But nature is

more than bits of pieces. Despite seeing the text of 3 billion chemical

letters of our genome - we still can’t read the book of life .

T.J Higgins: I think certainly at the beginning it was overestimated as

to what we would learn from just knowing what the coded instructions

were for every protein in a human or in a plant.

Simon Nasht: Professor T.J Higgins is deputy head of CSIRO Plant

Industry in Canberra. For centuries we’ve tried to understand the

Universe by pulling it apart – we’ve studied atoms to comprehend

creation, molecules to reveal life, genes to decipher human behaviour.

But nature organises itself in immensely complex ways. And in these huge

interconnected systems, where every player affects every other, the

linear logic of cause and effect falls apart. However there’s a

revolution in thinking taking place. Scientists from diverse disciplines

have begun to see how the world really connects. And the view is staggering.

Eugene Stanley: The big thing is that there is one single law that

explains a wide variety of networks.

Albert-Laszlo Barabasi: When we look only in the level of the components

how they interact together, that is when we look at the nodes and links

and the networks they create they are more similar than different.

Richard Sole: These particular webs might explain some something that

we’ve been asking for years and years.

Eugene Stanley: In science usually when someone sees a simplifying

feature that says very, very profound consequences.

Simon Nasht: Today in the Science Show we’re joining a new generation of

scientists to witness what’s been called the first big idea of the 21st

Century. The new science of networks. And as with most discoveries, this

one has its own amazing story. It started with deep awe at the hidden

patterns in nature.

The swings of Foucault’s pendulum, an interpretation by Larry Sitsky.

Steve Strogatz: A very dramatic piece of music.

Simon Nasht: Steve Strogatz – Professor of Applied Mathematics at

Cornell University is an expert in complex systems. Steve, this music in

a way takes us back to the beginning of your career. What is it about

pendulums that fascinated you?

Steve Strogatz: I had a very visceral sort of reaction to my first

experiment in high school. I was just 13 years old. We all were given a

stopwatch and this pendulum and as we tried letting it swing 10 times

back and forth and then click record how long it takes and than we make

it longer, 10 times back and forth, click, and so on doing it over and

over again. As I started to make maybe 4 or 5 dots in the page, I’ve

noticed something spooky which was that these dots were falling on a

very particular curve that I recognised because I’ve seen it in my

algebra class it was what we call a parabola. And I can remember this

very chilling feeling, with, the proverbial hairs on the back of my neck

standing up thinking to myself, how could that be? How could this

pendulum know about algebra? In that moment, I suddenly understood what

people mean by the phrase, ‘Law of Nature’.

There is a hidden world that you can’t see unless you know mathematics.

It’s a secret world that suddenly becomes open to you and I felt likeI

was being told this marvellous secret and suddenly I was let into the

society.

Simon Nasht: Thirty years later Steve Strogatz, one of the world’s most

distinguished mathematicians is still fascinated by the patterns of

nature. Can you give us an example?

Steve Strogatz: I think one of the most visually spectacular is a

phenomenon that occurs in Southeast Asia. If you are say in a canoe

going down one of the tidal rivers from Bangkok out to the sea. On

pretty nearly any night of the year you’ll see an unbelievable display

of thousands upon thousands of fireflies in the mangrove trees. And what

is so odd about this is that they will all be flashing but not just that

they’re flashing in perfect synchrony – in perfect time together.

Simon Nasht: A decade ago, Professor Jonathan Copeland - a

neuroethologist and firefly researcher from Statesboro, Georgia, made

his own pilgrimage to South-East Asia.

Jonathan Copeland: What we were looking was called the silent counter.

We had come up the river in a canoe and off in the distance I could see

something flashing vaguely and we got closer and closer and then I

realized that it was the firefly tree.

Simon Nasht: For someone in your line of work it must have been quite a

sight.

Jonathan Copeland: It was breathtaking. It’s like a Christmas tree with

blinkered lights on it. The lights go on off, on off, on off, on off,

rhythmically and regularly through the night.

Simon Nasht: Professor Copeland’s adventures in Southeast Asia were

picked up by the press. And for Lynn Faust from Knoxville Tennessee, it

struck a cord.

Lynn Faust: The cover of the magazine had this firefly tree in Malaysia

and I picked it up thinking ‘Gosh! I wonder if there are talking about

the Elkmont fireflies in here’. And so reading the article and reading

the article realized that there was a statement made that there was only

this one synchronized species in the world and it was in Malaysia. And I

thought no, no, we have been watching them for years up in Elkmont!

Jonathan Copeland: I thought it was another crank call. Not so much

because of what was being described but because the prevailing dogma at

that time was that North American fireflies just did not synchronize.

Lynn Faust: It’s a unison blinking, it is pounding you almost feel like

you should hear drum beats it is so rhythmic, pulsating. And on the

hillside it is more like a waterfall.

Simon Nasht: Professor Copeland was intrigued and approached Lynn with

an unusual request.

Jonathan Copeland: What I asked her to do was to draw five lines like a

musical staff and have every line represent a different firefly.

Lynn Faust: So I said well sure, I will try. And it’s funny when you

watch something as a thing of beauty that is very different from

watching it scientifically. They blinked 6 times in rapid succession and

then they’re dark for six seconds. There were a lot of individuals – and

that you do get a few early birds and you get a few late ones, you know

that blink a little past everybody else – but in general it’s a mass

synchrony. When you see it you can’t believe that you are looking in

silence. So I guess it does bring something musical out in you because

it’s so rhythmic.

Simon Nasht: We had composer Llaszlo Kiss turn Lynn’s original

observations into a symphony for fireflies. But the ability to

synchronize isn’t exclusive to bugs. It seems that at the heart of the

Universe there is a steady, insistent beat.

Steve Strogatz: Synchrony is one of the most pervasive phenomena in

nature. That in the sense that it occurs in every scale from the

smallest scale of subatomic particles to the grandest scale of the

cosmos, the solar system.

Simon Nasht: What were the big questions that intrigued you, what were

the outstanding major, philosophical questions really about synchrony?

Steve Strogatz: You’re right to put your finger on the word

philosophical because some of them do touch on very deep philosophical

issues. I’m thinking in particular of the question of where is the

source of all the order in the Universe? We see order all around us. We

see ecosystems with hundreds of thousands of species interacting and

it’s all stable. We see the structures of our own body, it’s incredible

with all of those different organs and trillions of cells in our brain

capable of consciousness and love and hate and wanting to write music

like the song you played at the beginning. And so these questions of how

simple individuals like brain cells, or fireflies or the atoms in a

laser can conspire to create marvellous organised structures and do it

on their own. That is a very deep question for a scientist because so

long we’ve been taught that the universe has this opposite tendency that

things left to their own will degenerate, will tend towards ever greater

entropy – meaning greater disorder or greater randomness. And yet we see

lots of examples of things that do just the opposite that seem to drive

themselves to ever greater patterns.

Simon Nasht: So how does chaos synchronize? And can its patterns be

revealed by mathematics? Steve Strogatz wanted to find out.

Steve Strogatz: So we were looking for a case that would be tractable.

And it happens that in Ithaca, where I live there is a particular

species of cricket, called the snowy tree cricket which just happens to

chorus. That is hundreds of thousands of the male crickets at night will

be out chirping rhythmically in unison in an attempt to attract females.

Simon Nasht: All of this sounded pretty interesting to Strogatz’s PhD

student - at the time a young Australian– Duncan Watts.

Duncan Watts: There is a lot of biological interest in this and there is

also a lot of mathematics involved. And we were doing some experiments

with some crickets that we had caught on the campus of Cornell.

Simon Nasht: So set the scene for me a little bit – a couple of grown

men climbing around trees in the campus. What did they think of you?

Duncan Watts: Well, one grown man which was me…so there was a little

sort of physical adventure involved and then we took them inside and

when we caught a few into a sound-proof chamber in the laboratory and

subjected them to different kinds of simulated chirps.

Steve Strogatz: And the hope was that by studying the way that

individual crickets respond to the chirps of others, that we could

figure out what it was about their interaction that led to them all

synchronising.

Duncan Watts: We were wondering how when you put you know many, many

crickets possibly hundreds of crickets together on a tree, each of which

has its own particular rhythm that it follows in isolation, when you put

them together they somehow interact with each other and all end up

chirping perfectly together.

Steve Strogatz: The real problem was that it wasn’t understood

mathematically why all of these interactions would inevitably lead to

synchrony. Why couldn’t they for instance just result in some kind of

cacophony? And as he was out in the field, Duncan came to realise that

the assumptions we were making in our theories were completely

ridiculous. We had been assuming that individual crickets could be

thought of as arranged sort of like the squares on the checker board. A

very regular arrangement, because that’s the kind of thing that

physicists have worked out good theories for. And yet clearly that

wasn’t what was happening. They were all over the place in the trees and

it got Duncan thinking.

Duncan Watts: They couldn’t all be listening to each other equally;

probably each one was only listening to a few others.

Steve Strogatz: Do I even know which cricket can hear which other and

does it really matter? How does the pattern of their connection affect

their ability to synchronize?

Duncan Watts: We started to imagine a tree full of crickets as a 3

dimensional network where every individual in the tree was somehow

influencing and responding to some of the others. In some ways it’s like

a network of friends. You know other people and you influence them and

they influence you. But you don’t know everybody in the world and not

everybody influences you equally.

Steve Strogatz: And so from that he got an idea in his head which was

suddenly triggered into fruition by something his father said.

Duncan Watts: He just mentioned this story which at the time I took to

be an urban myth which was what we now call, ‘Six Degrees of Separation’

or what sociologists call, ‘The Small World Problem’.

Steve Strogatz: That term by the way comes from the experience we’ve all

had where you’re travelling a foreign country and suddenly you’re

standing on the steps of a cathedral in Florence and you find that you

meet someone you went to elementary school with or someone who knows

your cousin or whatever and then both people say, ‘Ah, it’s a small world!’

Duncan Watts: And my Dad mentioned this to me and he said well did you

know that anybody can connect themselves to the President of the US in

just six handshakes?

Simon Nasht: Six Degrees of Separation became something of an urban myth

following John Guare’s 1990 play.

Excerpt from film, Six Degrees of Separation: I read somewhere that

everybody on this planet is separated by only six other people. Six

degrees of separation between us and everybody else on this planet, The

president of the United States, a gondolier in Venice. It’s not just the

big names. It’s anyone. A native in the rainforest, a Tierra del Fuegan,

an Eskimo. I am bound - you are bound to everyone on this planet by a

trail of six people. It’s a profound thought.

Simon Nasht: That was Stockard Channing in the film version of Six

Degrees of Separation. However, the original idea came from a famous

sociology experiment in the 1960s - designed by Harvard psychologist,

Stanley Milgram.

Duncan Watts: He was a great experimenter. So he designed this method

that even today is called the small world method, where he picked a

single person in Boston. So Milgram nominated him as a target of this

experiment and then he chose about 300 other people whom he called

senders. And about 100 of those were chosen randomly from the population

of Boston and the other 200 came from Omaha Nebraska. Milgram

deliberately picked Omaha not just because it was geographically distant

from Boston but because it was also socially distant.

Simon Nasht: Milgram wanted to find out the ‘distance’ between any two

people in America. 300 randomly chosen men and women had to find someone

they didn’t know and all they had to go was that he was from Boston.

Actor reading Milgram’s words: OK, OK – now listen up. This is what I

want you to do. If you actually know the target person mail the package

directly to them. You only do this if you know the person or if you’ve

previously met the target person and know them on a first name basis. If

you don’t know the target person don’t try to contact them by asking

around. Don’t look them up. Instead, mail the package to someone you

know who is more likely than you to know the target person. You can send

the package to a friend, to a relative or an acquaintance, it just has

to be someone you know on a first name basis. And then they’ll do the

same thing.

Duncan Watts: What he set up effectively was a series of chain letters

that wended their ways through different professions and different towns

and different demographics and about 20% of them or roughly 60 made it

to the target. And of those 60 the average length, the number of steps

in each of those chains was about six. So I thought that was an

interesting thought. I had these two problems in my mind – one about

crickets synchronizing and one about networks of social relationships

and whether or not those networks had this unusual or seemingly

surprising property that everyone can could connect to everyone else in

just a few steps. And I started to wonder if maybe they had something to

say about each other.

Simon Nasht: Assuming that network structure and synchronicity must be

well-covered subjects, Watts went to look it up.

Duncan Watts: You know when you are at graduate student you assume that

every question that comes into your head has been already answered. But

once I have started to look I realized that very little had been done

and what had been done didn’t really fit with this picture that I was

starting to think about in terms of my cricket problem.

Simon Nasht: Not only was the relationship between networks and

synchronization completely unexplored, no one really seemed to have

thought about big complex networks at all. Except for one – an eccentric

Hungarian mathematician, Paul Erdös.

Steve Strogatz: So he really was a pioneer in our understanding of

enormous large complex networks.

Simon Nasht: Erdös was the first to ask questions about networks. He

wanted to know how many links it took between isolated groups to form a

network in which they could all talk to each other. These questions were

important because the threshold between isolation and connectedness is

crucial for understanding the flow of information, the spread of

disease, the movement of money; the workings of our modern world. Erdös

was a genius with eccentricities to match.

Steve Strogatz: He essentially lived as a homeless person and travelled

around from one mathematician to another. He would knock on your door

and say, ‘My brain is open’. Which meant he’s ready to work with you on

some unsolved math problem. And you were then to take care of him

because he was so incompetent in all aspects of daily life. He was like

a baby except he was a mathematical genius.

George Csicsery: As I got to know Paul Erdös I developed a sense that he

was actually quite clever and he had designed a perfect life for himself.

Simon Nasht: George Csicsery is a documentary filmmaker who made a

portrait of Erdös.

George Csicsery: Not knowing how to boil an egg guaranteed that someone

else would do it for you. Not knowing how to go shopping guaranteed that

someone else would go shopping for you. So this gave him an immense

amount of freedom to pursue the thing he really cared about, which was

mathematics.

Simon Nasht: Erdös was a prolific mathematician. He published 1500

papers in his lifetime with several hundred colleagues.

George Csicsery: He would find new approaches to the problems that other

people were working on. And this is how he developed so many collaborations.

Paul Erdös: Somebody asked me a problem and sometimes I see immediately

what do you have to do. And then later one has to carry out the details.

And very often it works immediately that you know that you are on the

right track. Of course sometimes you are deceived.

Simon Nasht: One of Erdös’s theories was developed with his countryman -

Albert Renyi - the theory of random networks.

Albert-László Barabási: Erdös had a particular model of how networks

would look like whether it is a social network or any other network.

That is let’s assume that the nodes are connected randomly.

Simon Nasht: Albert-László Barabási Professor of Physics at University

of Notre Dame, yet another Hungarian and one of the leading thinkers in

the science of networks. Erdös hypothesised that in networks information

can spread extremely quickly.

Albert-László Barabási: Let me give you an example of a cocktail party.

If you would organize a cocktail party let’s say with a hundred people

which are carefully selected that nobody knows anybody else actually so

when they come to the room there are no acquaintances over there and you

would find that people would start pairing up – you know forming groups

of 2 or 3 or 4 and start chatting and getting introduced and so on. And

among the many many wines there is one particular bottle that is like a

prized Hungarian Tokai. And you would just tell it just to one person.

The question is how long would it take until everybody in the party

would know that. Now if you do a little bit of math and you assume that

every 2 people would talk for kind of 10 minutes before they get bored

with each other and move on to somebody else, you’d figure out that for

about 100 people it would take about 16 hours. It takes about 20-30 minutes.

Imagine that you would start connecting with invisible lines the people

who have met and they talked to each other, who could actually pass on

information to each other. And what you find is that first you have just

lines between pairs and trios of people. But then as people start

mixing, then like a giant component emerges when everybody suddenly

becomes in a few minutes part of one big network. And Erdös told us that

for that to happen it is sufficient that everybody knows at least one

other person. When you reach this threshold of one node per link then

suddenly out of nothing this giant cluster emerges which is very similar

to a phase transition.

Duncan Watts: Which is that you go from a world in which everything is

disconnected to a world in which very, very suddenly everything gets

connected.

Albert-László Barabási: And a good example is to think about how water

freezes.

Duncan Watts: It’s not the case that right at the freezing point you

just get a little bit of frozen water and then as you get colder you get

more and more. It’s either all frozen or it’s not frozen.

Albert-László Barabási: So you go from this stage of disorder of a

chaotic motion to the phase of order.

Duncan Watts: What Erdös and Renyi managed to show is that the same kind

of phase transition occurs in networks.

Simon Nasht: The way in which water molecules form ice can be thought of

as crickets chirp, or fireflies flash in unison or how randomly

introduced people in a party learn about the precious wine. They all

reach a tipping point where suddenly order emerges from chaos. It was

Erdös who identified this phase transition as it’s called in networks.

But for all his brilliance he wasn’t able to move beyond the

theoretical. Back in the 50s there was no way to test his ideas. Real

networks aren’t as readily connected as Erdös imagined. Life is not a

Hungarian cocktail party where connectivity is just a handshake away.

Duncan Watts: Now if that were the case in the real world, in the social

world, then you would be just as likely to know someone in rural China

as somebody down the street.

Steve Strogatz: If I have two friends, the chances of them knowing each

other are much greater than if I just asked two people at random on the

surface of the Earth whether they know each other. Two of my friends

have much greater chance because I may have introduced them. They are

part of my circle. This same property we find is true in many naturally

occurring networks as well that there it tends to be a kind of

clumpiness to their structure, which you don’t see, in random networks.

Simon Nasht: And this clumpiness, this clustering makes the world in a

way, larger. It slows down connectivity, the flow of information, as you

are more likely to have more links within your own circle. Yet Milgram’s

experiment with the packages showed us that somehow we can still manage

to reach anyone in just a few steps. So how can the world be both

clustered AND connected? This is the paradox at the heart of the small

world problem.

Duncan Watts: It became clear to me and also to Steve, that we had

stumbled on something that everybody in science is more or less looking

for, which is a new problem.

Steve Strogatz: He had a particular question that he posed to me which

was what could we say how a network like this would synchronize? Would

it synchronize better than the square grid we had been thinking about or

would it synchronize better than one of Erdös’s random networks? And

then Duncan raised an even larger question – we should be looking at all

kind of networks, everything out there is a network today. Is the World

Wide Web like this? Does it have this property that every web page is

just a few clicks away from every other? What about the network of

neurons in your brain? I’ve heard neurologists saying every neuron is

just a few synapses from every other. Is that really true?

Duncan Watts: We started to believe that the way the system behaves –

can a population synchronize or variously can an organization solve a

complicated problem, can an epidemic of disease break out and spread

around the world, can a particular sort of fad become popular, or not

become popular? Lots of these behavioural questions have to do with how

the system is connected and therefore have to do with the networks.

Steve Strogatz: We started to ask ourselves what would it be like for a

network to have this property of being a small world of satisfying

something like six degrees of separation.

Duncan Watts: And what we were looking for was a world - a kind of world

- in which you had the high clustering, the fact that most of your

friends know each other and also the short path links. The fact, that

you can get from anyone to anyone else in just a few steps.

Simon Nasht: But instead of trying to ‘measure’ the world, - as Milgram

did with his packages – they’ve decided to move in between the two

theoretical extremes; from the completely clustered to the totally

random world, - in the hope to tuning in to the world we live in.

Steve Strogatz: And we tried to imagine just by drawing pictures on

paper with dots connected by lines what it would take. And one picture

stood out. We drew lots of complicated things but as we paired it down

we started to realize what was very important were what we came to call

shortcuts. Just a few shortcuts and the world was contracted as small as

it could be. And so from this we came to think that since the conditions

on a small world were so mild, that you only needed a shortcuts in any

network. We started to think that in fact this property of being a small

world should be ubiquitous and that if we could just get our hands on

real data, for giant networks we’d see the same pair of properties.

Duncan Watts: When we have looked at this whole universe of worlds we

found that almost everything is like this.

Simon Nasht: How did you go about testing this?

Steve Strogatz: We came up with what seems like a whimsical example –

the Hollywood network of actors who have been in movies together.

Simon Nasht: In 1997 computer scientists Brett Tjaden and Glenn Wasson

at University of Virginia launched an amusing website – the Oracle of

Kevin Bacon. This is a game where every actor can be connected to Bacon

by the movies in which they’ve played together. If, for instance, the

actor played with Bacon in the same film, he’s given a Bacon number one.

If he’s never been in a film with him, but has been in a film with

someone else who has been in a film with Kevin Bacon, he’s given a Bacon

number of two.

Steve Strogatz: So for instance Charlie Chaplin who acted in silent

films in the 20s and 30s you might think, well, how could I connect

Charlie Chaplin to Kevin Bacon. But you can. Charlie Chaplin was in the

movie Countess from Hong Kong with Marlon Brando. Marlon Brando was in

Apocalypse Now with Lawrence Fishburn. and Lawrence Fishburn was in

Quicksilver with Kevin Bacon. That’s three movies separating Chaplin

from Bacon and so for that reason we would say that Charlie Chaplin has

a Bacon number of three.

Simon Nasht: The game is based on half a million actors listed in the

Internet movie database – a micro-cosmos of the social world.

Duncan Watts: And we were able to get hold of that database and look for

the features that we had predicted, this high clustering and short pathlink.

Simon Nasht: As it turned out not only Kevin Bacon but every actor could

be connected to every other in an average of less than 4 steps. It was

small world. To test their model further Strogatz and Watts went looking

for networks that had nothing to do with the social world.

Duncan Watts: There was nothing in this model that made it seem like it

was about people and friendships. It was just about nodes and links.

Steve Strogatz: There was data available for this network of 5000 power

plants and all their transmission lines.

Duncan Watts: So in one case you have movie actors and they are linked

by co-starring in movies, in another case you have power stations linked

by transmission cables.

Simon Nasht: And much to their delight they’d found the same phenomenon

as before. And because in small worlds the flow of information is very

efficient it was natural to wonder whether the nervous system also

exploits this trick.

Steve Strogatz: There is only one nervous system that has been fully

mapped out and it’s the nervous system of a very simple creature, a

worm, called C. elegans which has just about 900 hundred cells in it’s

whole body, of which are about 300 devoted to the nervous system.

Duncan Watts: So I emailed a friend of Steve’s at Columbia University

actually who was an expert on C.elegans and he said ‘Oh, yes! We have

done that.’ And he gave me a reference. Oddly enough it wasn’t just a

description of the network, they had actually encoded it into a pair of

floppy disks. I went to the librarian and she said, ‘Ah no don’t have

them, sorry’. So I was very crestfallen because this was our last great

hope for a network to study and we didn’t know what to do and a couple

of days later the librarian actually called me back and said they’d

found them in a box somewhere in the basement.

Simon Nasht: And sure enough, when Watts and Strogatz looked at the

neural map of C.elegans the results didn’t disappoint. The brain of that

worm was a small world too.

Steve Strogatz: All of these networks, all turn out to be small worlds.

It’s not just a curiosity or a quirk about how are they connected, there

is real meaning to it. Like in the case of the nervous systems the fact

that everything is just a few synapses away from everything else helps

the network communicate and sends signals rapidly. It may make even

higher functions possible at least in the case of the human brain like

perception or attention or consciousness. In the case of the power grid

the connectivity helps the rapid transmission of power back and forth.

And of course sometimes this sort of connectivity is undesirable like in

the case of computer viruses surging across the internet.

Simon Nasht: In 1998 Strogatz and Watts published their landmark

findings in Nature magazine. Their discovery was the beginning of the

new science of networks.

Steve Strogatz: It seemed like it could be revolutionary for all of

science because networks occur in every field from economics to physics.

So the undertaking of looking into the structure of these gigantic

networks was extremely exciting.

Duncan Watts: It was kind of like hitting the jackpot. It was my very

first publication ever and as my father explained to me it was all

downhill from there.

Simon Nasht: Just 10 month later, Albert-Laszlo Barabasi contacted Watts.

Duncan Watts: And he was looking for some of the data sets that we had

been using, and several months later actually he published a very nice

paper in Science.

Simon Nasht: Barabasi and his team were trying to probe a truly gigantic

network - the World Wide Web.

Albert-Laszlo Barabasi: We wanted to know who is connected to whom and

for that reason we built up this robot that started from a web page and

went to every single web page it could go from there and then went from

those web pages to where you could go and step by step built up a map of

the World Wide Web.

Simon Nasht: The web is a jungle where anyone is free to put up a page

and add a link to any other they choose. In this democratic mess, there

was no reason to expect any bias; that some pages would be significantly

more connected than others.

Albert-Laszlo Barabasi: Once we had the map we could start looking how

democratic it is. And the big surprise was that it was by no means

democratic. What we have found was that instead of most pages with

roughly the same number of links, we found many, many pages that had

only one or two links. There were however a few web pages that had a

very large number of links, like Yahoo and Google and Amazon and a

couple of other pages were like these hubs, these highly connected nodes.

Simon Nasht: Barabasi had found structure where he didn’t expect it. But

did this discovery of a few highly connected hubs apply just to the web,

or was it a feature of other networks too? Barabasi needed another

example to test, so he went back to the Hollywood database. Watts and

Strogatz had established that actors lived in a small world, closely

connected through the movies in which they’ve worked. But was there and

underlying structure to the network? Are there hubs in Hollywood?

Albert-Laszlo Barabasi: Sure enough the same picture emerged. That is

that you had many actors that had played with only few actors together

during their career so they had only a few links to other actors but

then you had a few that had thousands of links to other actors.’

Simon Nasht: When they studied the most connected actors, Barabasi’s

team discovered that it was a mixture of the most prolific and those who

had worked in different genres who were at the top of the list. Not the

Tom Hanks and Humphrey Bogarts, but the character actors like Rod

Steiger, Donald Pleasance and Christopher Lee. And in today’s Hollywood,

the actor most connected to everyone else, is The West Wing’s President,

Martin Sheen.

Albert-Laszlo Barabasi: So that was the second hint that this is perhaps

not a peculiar property of the world wide web but hubs emerge in other

networks as well. And sure enough then we started looking systematically

in other networks and other people have started looking at other

networks as well and more networks were looked at more and more a

general kind of picture has emerged that networks are dominated by hubs.

They seem to be an inherent property of most large networks in nature

whether you think about the world wide web, the cell, if you think about

the cell as a network, whether you think about social networks or the

Internet or you name it.

Simon Nasht: But why do all these different networks end up looking so

similar? How does Nature spin its web?

Albert-Laszlo Barabasi: Yes, that was actually a pretty big question.

And really if you think about how networks had become the way they are,

you had to realise that networks always started out with a few nodes and

they grow out from that. So you don’t have six billion nodes that you

have to somehow connect together, they are not static objects, they are

growing, they are expanding through the addition of new modes and links

into the system.

So that’s one important part. The other part, when new node decides

where to link, it doesn’t do so randomly. But it prefers to connect to

the nodes that are highly connected in the first place. If you decide

where you connect on the World Wide Web, you connect to the pages that

you know. And inevitably the pages that you are familiar with are those

pages that have a very large number of links in the first place, because

that’s how you got to know them. If a page is very connected, more

connected than anybody else, the new nodes will tend to connect to it,

so therefore it will go faster than the less connected pages.

So what kicks in is what we call a ‘Rich Gets Richer’ phenomenon. Where

a rich node will grow faster than a poorer node and will eventually

become a hub. So this architecture which we see is pretty much

unavoidable for these different types of networks. They don’t have much

of a choice. They are bound to follow this architecture because the way

these networks are formed is governed by very simple common laws.

Simon Nasht: Barabasi’s discovery of this simple organizing law inspired

American composer Mike Edgerton to write this sonata - performed

especially for The Science Show in Berlin.

It’s not an easy piece to play. Was the complexity a function of trying

to follow the laws or did simple laws just reveal a complex piece of music?

Mike Edgerton: The generating structures were incredibly simple and so I

thought that was pretty interesting that we don’t need to have really

complicated mathematics to put together complicated music. I found that

this is a really nice opportunity to meld the two worlds together.

Simon Nasht: How did you apply the theories or the laws of scale free

networks?

Mike Edgerton: Well it kind of worked in terms of a large general

metaphor. But the other way was more literal and this had to do with how

the structure and the actual pictures and rhythms were generated. What I

had done was I had identified a series of base values; rhythmic or

temporal values, which I viewed as hubs and then over those I had an

irregular number of innerations that were applied within each value and

then it would cycle through at different rates.

Simon Nasht: Slowly, the hidden structure of Nature is revealing itself.

And the more we learn about how networks are organised, the more we see

their strengths and weaknesses, with profound implications for all of us.

Albert-Laszlo Barabasi: These hub dominated networks are very robust

against random failures that is you can knock out 80% of the nodes and

the 20% remaining nodes will be still be able to talk to each other.

However, they are very fragile against attacks. If you know how the

network looks like, you can easily break them into pieces. And this

finding has many, many consequences.

Mark Newman: So one important application is if we can vaccinate people

in the network or in some other way prevent them from catching the

disease, then that removes them from the network and if we can remove

enough people from the network in that way the point where the network

itself collapses then the disease cannot spread any more.

Richard Sole: The way ecosystems might vanish in the future is going to

depend on how much we understand about the web structure. In some,

actually some naturalists and some field ecologists are strongly

preventing us of thinking of ecosystems like independent species and a

properly conserved ecosystem means conserve the web of interactions.

Alessandro Vespigniani: These systems are driven by necessity in the

sense that the system is evolving and you try to optimise itself for

some task. An example is the internet. The internet is a self organising

system and this is trying to optimise itself for data transmission and

for reliability.

Albert-Laszlo Barabasi: But then there is another aspect of network

robustness and vulnerability and that has to do with what we call a

cascading failures and a good example of that was year’s big Eastern

United States power grid failure. Failure of a generator has created

disturbances in the network that resulted in the shut down of a number

of generators and within a 25 second time frame the whole Eastern United

States was without electricity. And it’s a wonderful example that while

networks offer lots of benefits by allowing to spread not only

information but also resources like electricity very widely among a very

large number of people, they also carry these vulnerabilities that a

local disturbance, a local problem can suddenly become, through the

network a global problem.

Duncan Watts: The SARS virus provided something of a global scare

because it was spreading from individual to individual from a very

remote location in south eastern China to Hong Kong and to Taiwan and to

Vietnam and then finally on to Canada. And for a while there nobody knew

where it was going to stop. And so in that kind of environment for that

kind of problem, the fact that we can all be connected to each other

through some short chain of intermediaries is actually extremely

pertinent. The kind of mathematics that we see in these sorts of

networks that we study is very similar to the spread of that particular

epidemic.

Simon Nasht: Another network of course that’s in people’s minds at the

moment are terrorist networks.

Albert-Laszlo Barabasi: The way we think and I think most people think

about terrorist networks is no different to the way we think about the

World Wide Web. The existence of a network really implies that something

is flowing along the links. And in the case of the terrorist networks,

supplies, information and money which is really the one which is flowing

in the network. And in the moment you actually cut these supplies, then

you have the possibility of starting a cascading failure in the system

that could successfully break the whole network down.

Simon Nasht: On a personal level Laszlo, how does it feel to have been

privy to such a remarkable discovery?

Albert-Laszlo Barabasi: Well, it perhaps gives you hope that there is

more out there. There are other organizing principles that we still have

to see and so it motivates me to think harder and to try to see what

else could we learn about nature, about society, about the world around

us by looking at it as a network.

Simon Nasht: The science of networks is just beginning, and there’s

surely much more to be discovered. But already it’s forcing us to look

at the world differently.

Steve Strogatz: We’ve made tremendous progress in science for 300 years,

since the days of Isaac Newton and the scientific revolution by chopping

problems up into smaller and smaller bits and analysing the tiniest

parts. From whole organisms we look at cells, and then from cells we

look at genes. And by studying genes and then down to DNA we’ve made

wonderful progress but the time has come to move back up. I mean how we

understand the behaviour of a whole economy? How do we understand the

resilience and stability of ecosystems? Or global warming? These are

problems with a similar character in that you can’t understand them by

looking at the little bits. And this is a daunting challenge – going up

turns out to be much harder that going down. Synthesis and holism is

much more scientifically subtle than analysis and reductionism.

Duncan Watts: The problem is that everything we experience is local in

the sense that it’s right around us. But the small world phenomenon is a

global phenomenon and we really don’t have good intuitions about global

phenomena and we need a new paradigm for understanding how it does work.

And I think that that paradigm is starting to come into focus with this

science of networks.

Simon Nasht: It sounds to me like we’re facing the 21st century’s great

scientific challenge.

Steve Strogatz: Yes, that’s right. The thing that is going to have the

most impact on human affairs is going to be the understanding of complex

systems.

Robyn Williams: The connectedness of nearly everything. Something David

Suzuki always says about us and nature. That Science Show Special was

written by Annamaria Talas and presented by Simon Nasht, production by

David Fisher. Next week the science of torture.

Guests on this program:

Steve Strogatz

Professor of Applied Mathematics

Cornell University

Author: 'Synch:The Emerging Science

of Spontaneous Order'

Published by; Hyperion 2003

http://tam.cornell.edu/Strogatz.html

Jonathan Copeland

Professor of Biology

Neuroethologist & firefly researcher

Southern Georgia University

Statesboro

Georgia

http://alpha.marsci.uga.edu/coastalcouncil/Affiliates/copeland_jonathan.htm

Lynn Faust

Knoxville

Tennessee

http://www.acfnewsource.org/science/firefly_find.html

Duncan Watts

Assoc Prof of Sociology

Columbia University

Author: 'Six Degrees:The Science of a Connected Age'

Published by: WW Norton 2003

http://smallworld.columbia.edu/watts.html

George Csicsery

Documentary Film Maker

'N is a Number'

Albert-László Barabási

Professor of Physics

University of Notre Dame

Author: 'Linked - The New Science of Networks"

http://www.nd.edu/~alb/

Further information:

Erdos Number Project

http://www.oakland.edu/enp/

Oracle of Kevin Bacon

http://www.cs.virginia.edu/oracle/

Internet Movie Database

http://www.imdb.com/

Small World Project

http://smallworld.columbia.edu/

Mike Edgerton - Composer

http://www.geocities.com/edgertonmichael/

Laszlo Kiss

Presenter: Robyn Williams

Producer: Annamaria Talas and David Fisher